Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

MIT Dorms

Dr. PDr. P Posts: 249Registered User Junior Member
I wanted to know about a few things that I think will also interest many:

1. Which dorm has a private bathrooms or at least shared among no more than 4 people?

2. Which dorm has the most spacious bedrooms?

3. As a freshmen I wish to live in a double (singles will be to lonely and triples and quads way to crowded) can I chose this? How does it work?

4. Where is the best dinner or the top two for you?

5. By personal experience which dorm will you recommend the most based on your opinion and why?

(Out of topic) 6. What percent of people have cars at MIT? Is transportation feasible, especially in the winter and for rooms on East Campus and scattered off? Is it true freshman are not entitled to parking and thus can't own a car? Will you recommend having a car?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Also anymore information will be greatly appreciated!
Post edited by Dr. P on

Replies to: MIT Dorms

• molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,154Super Moderator Senior Member
    Keep in mind that the people who live in a given dorm are much more important than its amenities -- any dorm you pick will feel like home after a few months if you love the people you're living with.
    As a freshmen I wish to live in a double (singles will be to lonely and triples and quads way to crowded) can I chose this? How does it work?
    Most dorms put freshmen in doubles. It's rarer to be in a triple or quad, and rarer than that to be in a single. Each dorm does its final housing process separately, once freshmen have been assigned to the dorm via the final housing lottery at the end of Orientation, but generally there will be a big meeting with all the freshmen, and you'll indicate your preferred roommate(s) and preferred room size(s). If you only list one preferred roommate and say that you prefer a double, you will probably get put in a double in most dorms.
    Where is the best dinner or the top two for you?
    The best dinner for me was one I made myself, which was why I was happy in a dorm with kitchens. There are lots of different food options at MIT, and there's not one that's best for everybody.
    By personal experience which dorm will you recommend the most based on your opinion and why?
    Same as the above -- there's no one best dorm at MIT for everybody. Each dorm appeals to a subset of the MIT population, which is the beauty of the housing choice system.
    What percent of people have cars at MIT? Is transportation feasible, especially in the winter and for rooms on East Campus and scattered off? Is it true freshman are not entitled to parking and thus can't own a car? Will you recommend having a car?
    It's correct that freshmen can't get parking permits. And very few upperclassmen have cars -- parking is expensive in MIT's lots and even more expensive elsewhere in Boston/Cambridge, and the subway system is easily accessible and cheap. Only a few people out of my entire group of friends had cars -- I think probably no more than 5% of undergrads keep a car on campus, and the number is probably even lower than that. I have a car now that I live out in the suburbs, but I really wouldn't recommend a car for anyone living in Boston/Cambridge.
  • PiperXPPiperXP Posts: 2,622Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with everything Mollie said, but I want to emphasize that you should NOT base your decision on facilities. Each dorm has a distinct personality. Before classes begin, you'll be able to explore the different dorms and choose your home. Take it seriously, meet the people, and find what fits you well.
  • metapodmetapod Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    I live in Simmons, which you should take into account when you read my answers.

1. Bathrooms in Simmons are private and are shared between 2 or 3 people. The bathroom situation in other dorms also seems pretty good, generally.

2. Bexley has huge rooms from what I've seen. I haven't really come across a 'small' double in Simmons. I have seen pretty tiny rooms in Baker, New, and Random, but room size varies within dorms. Check out the i3 videos on youtube to get a sense of room size.

3. Unless you live in MacGregor (all singles) it would be strange not to get a double if you want one, anywhere you live.

4. Baker has the best dining, in my opinion. Simmons dining isn't bad, Next dining isn't good. You can eat at any of the dining halls though, so it's not a big deal. There is also plenty of food in the student center, and lots of places to order from in Boston and Cambridge. If you can cook you will be looking at different a different set of criteria. Random is right next to the grocery store. Most dorms have a subset of people that cook for almost every meal, though that is more popular in some dorms than others.

5. Impossible to say. Unlike most of the schools I've visited, there just isn't a dorm here that is regarded as the best. Each has its own set of pros and cons. As you are checking out the dorms and talking with other people during CPW and orientation, you'll probably get a good sense of what the best place for you is.

6. I know a few people with cars, but they definitely don't use them to get around campus. Pretty much all of the academic buildings are connected, so once you are east of Mass Ave you don't even have to be outside. Get a good winter coat and you'll be fine. And public transportation makes it easy and cheap to get around Boston and Cambridge.
  • k4r3n2k4r3n2 Posts: 937Registered User Member
    East Campus and Senior Haus are pretty much directly next to the Kendall T stop, so transportation isn't actually an issue.

East Campus is also awesome and clearly the best dorm.

(disclaimer: I live in East Campus)