Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it possible?

GandhijiGandhiji Posts: 713Registered User Member
Is it possible to get into MIT without getting into RSI or having lots of research internships?
Post edited by Gandhiji on

Replies to: Is it possible?

• molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,152Super Moderator Senior Member
    Of course. There are 75 students admitted to RSI each year. There are ~1000 students admitted to MIT each year.

Of the >925 students not admitted to RSI but admitted to MIT each year, most (I would venture to say almost all) have no research experience.
  • Nobody007755Nobody007755 Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    ^Is that to say that MIT values other qualities (personal or SATs) over research experience.....OR were you justing trying to get across the point that admitted students are very diverse (research vs no-research)....but all very passionate about what they enjoy
  • River PhoenixRiver Phoenix Posts: 731Registered User Member
    You answered your own question, Nobody. It's the latter. But research experience of any kind is a very good hook for MIT because it demonstrates multiple qualities which MIT is looking - it shows passion in science, and it reveals that you took the effort to seek out a research opportunity. "Research experience" gets it's own checkbox on the e3 card. Most people wouldn't have research experience though, they demonstrate their worth in many ways.
  • GandhijiGandhiji Posts: 713Registered User Member
    phew this is a relief. all my friends were saying how top colleges look to see if you have any research experience and that if u didnt, you prob wont get in.
    Where Im from, there arent a lot of oppurtunities to get research internships (or any internships) so this is a big concern for me.
  • GandhijiGandhiji Posts: 713Registered User Member
    what about AIME? Is it required? According to this thread, MIT and CalTech look for AIME scores.. Where I'm from, we've never even heard about AIME!
  • mootmommootmom Posts: 4,162Registered User Senior Member
    AIME is not "required" at MIT. There is a space on the application to list AMC and AIME scores, should you have them, but as people keep saying, that's just part of the larger picture of your passions and taking advantage of the opportunities presented to you in your context.

You should explore the Caltech board for more details on what they look for. From what I can tell, presenting a decent AIME score may be more important in admissions there. (Not that it isn't a plus for MIT! Just that for Caltech, there may be an expectation that many applicants will have such experience. Ben Golub, if you're reading this, feel free to correct any misconception I may have perpetrated!)