Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Should I drop AP Calculus?

Ikey86Ikey86 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
The title is pretty self-explanatory but I'll explain my situation.
Currently I am taking 2 AP classes (AP Biology and AP Calculus AB).
Today, we took a quiz and I received a 58 (failing marks are below 65). This brought my average from a 95 to around a 70.
In all honesty, the teacher isn't really helping that much to teach. I went into class the first day and I didn't know what I was doing (graphing asymptotes, finding domains, limits). It stuck that way throughout the first 2 weeks. The quiz we took today was basically on continuity and limits. I went into the quiz thinking I had a good amount of knowledge and skills to at least get above an 85 on the quiz. Little did I know I was completely off my target score.

At the moment I'm considering dropping AP Calculus AB and going to normal calculus or statistics. What should I do? Will I start getting things or should I just give up now and go onto easier things?

Edit: I came from a Pre-Calc class (college-prep) so it easily explains why I'm not as ahead as everyone else in the class (honors/accelerated).
Post edited by Ikey86 on

Replies to: Should I drop AP Calculus?

• TechhexiumTechhexium Posts: 624Registered User Member
    How does your school do normal calculus? AP Calc AB is basically Calculus I throughout the year, which would be normally taught in one semester in colleges.

FWIW, I foregone my HS AP Calc AB class, took Calculus I in a local CC, then self-studied for Calc BC, got a 5.
  • MuffinMan17MuffinMan17 Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    I'd say stick it out just for a while longer if you haven't dropped already. Maybe you should watch some lectures online or use khan academy to help you out. Calculus is so amazing and fun; don't give up on it!
  • gingerchutneygingerchutney Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Yeah, I prefer online video tuts.. Khan Academy is great..