Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP Calculus BC texbook/prep books

charlotte213charlotte213 Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Mathematics & Computer Science
Which textbook is best for taking Cal BC?
I'm currently using Calculus by James Stewart, but I don't know if I should switch to another one or supplement it.
Also, which prep books are best?
Post edited by charlotte213 on

Replies to: AP Calculus BC texbook/prep books

• noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 6,981Registered User Senior Member
    For introductory calc, I like the text by Larson/Hostetler/Edwards. It is not terribly mathematically rigorous, but this may be a good thing when you are first covering the material and the proofs are very clear. This is a common choice in schools and will prepare you well for the AP examinations. Buy a used copy of the earliest edition you can find - this book has not improved with age.

There are also some excellent free calculus texts available online:
    Free Online Course Materials | Textbook | MIT OpenCourseWare
    Elementary Calculus
    However, I've heard pretty good stuff about Stewart and it should be fine.
  • thrill3rnit3thrill3rnit3 Posts: 1,413Registered User Member
    My school uses the Larson book too. Not too shabby.

I would recommend 4th edition of G.B. Thomas's book, but it's hard to find nowadays. Other good books are Salas/Hille or Leithold's Calculus.
  • charlotte213charlotte213 Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    Ok thanks!
    What about about prep books? Is Princeton good?
  • An0malyAn0maly Posts: 2,452Registered User Senior Member
    Princeton Review is great for the BC exam. It covers the concepts really well. Barron's goes more indepth, but it has a ton of practice tests, which is great.

Strang's Calculus book [the one posted on MIT online] is great for a free textbook. I read the multivariable parts from it, but I'm sure the single variable stuff is quality material.
    My teacher used Barron's for prepping us...I thought it was pretty good. Lots of busy work, but good practice I guess.
  • theamazingracetheamazingrace Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry, but am I the only one who thought of the actor when I saw James Stewart?

I vaaaaaguely used Barron's. (I only browsed through the first couple of chapters, and long before I even took the exam.) But our teacher gave us a lot of old CollegeBoard practice tests, MC and FR. So my advice would be to go to AP Central and look through some of the old tests - it really helps!
  • charlotte213charlotte213 Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    How generous is the curve for a 5?
  • rawr7777rawr7777 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    I used Princeton Review for the Calculus BC exam, and I definitely don't recommend it, unless you want a better grounding in how to do specific problems. If you're still not comfortable with a particular topic, like doing derivatives, Princeton Review does a decent job walking you through several problems. My problem with it is most of the practice problems and examples feel way easier in comparison to the actual AP exam.
    Princeton Review [ in terms of Math and Science, at least ], is very good at reviewing material, but the practice tests are way too easy.
  • markzillywaymarkzillyway Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Please don't do the same thing i did. I ONLY prepared with Princeton Review and that was a BIG mistake. There was an overwhelming amount of series questions on the test that Princeton Review barely touches on (there's like 3 pages in the entire book focused on series). PR is a good review book, but i would suggest Barron's as well to really tackle your skills.
  • wildchartermagewildchartermage Posts: 1,003Registered User Member
    I have a bunch of prep books I"m looking to sell, though I have 4 college level calculus textbooks and one AP Calc AB + BC 2008 Princeton review book to sell. PM me if you're interested.
  • aiyanalunetteaiyanalunette Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    I recommend using Barron's it's more in depth. You can find it at CheapestTextbooks.com for a reasonable price if your looking for one.