Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Mcgill vs. University of Toronto

canroz93canroz93 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited April 2011 in McGill University
I know this question was asked before many times but none of the answer given to previous threads satisfied me.
I first would like to describe my case:
I am an international student and was accepted to Electrical Engineering (which was my second choice in my application) in Mcgill and to Mechanical Engineering in University of Toronto. As I want to study Mechanical Engineering in college, University of Toronto seems to be the better choice.

However I still couldn't make a final decision for several reasons.

I heard that Mcgill has a great US style campus but as far as I've seen, University of Toronto does not have one, it is almost no different from NYU, having buildings scattered around in downtown Toronto. For me, social life, school spirit and college life is very important and these are all present in Mcgill but somewhat absent in University of Toronto.

I also might be able to change my major from Electrical Engineering to Mechanical Engineering easily and solve the problem of not studying what I want, but still, I will have to bear Electrical Engineering classes for a year.

As I am an IB student, there is a possibility that I might earn some easy credit from Mcgill but UofT does not offer any credit to IB students.

But University of Toronto has better rankings both in general rankings and engineering rankings.

So my question is: Which university would you choose if you were I?
Post edited by canroz93 on

Replies to: Mcgill vs. University of Toronto

• makakomakako Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
    McGill because electrical engineering is better than mechanical. :D
  • IAmPOSIAmPOS Posts: 328- Member
    McGill. Better social life/community (but still not much spirit compared to American schools). Better international reputation. Better city. Easier to get a good GPA. Smaller.
  • 123done123done Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    hey!
    I applied to chemical engineering and got accepted at Mcgill.
    A lot of people are comparing UofT and McGill in terms of academics. I can't say anything about that because every university has its own strengths but in terms of cultural background etc It's definitively Montreal.
    I have been living in Toronto before moving to Montreal and I would say that Toronto is just any big and modern city like many others on this planet where as Montreal is DIFFERENT!
    and I say that as someone who is not born here so not hate for Toronto or any other city=).
    many of my friends apply to UofT and I understand their choices its a great school after all but honestly I wouldn't give up Montreal for anything in the world XD. that being said I would love to work and travel in different countries LATER. I mean.. studying.. university etc can be really boring and stressful and I NEED a fun place for those boring tasks and try to have a life at the same time so No Toronto thanks XD

anyway you probably never came to Montreal before otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question but a friendly advise: come and see

Hope to see you in august =)
  • aregularguyaregularguy Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    IMO go to uoft for mechanical since well...thats what you want to study. You wont have to waste a year.

Its hard to compare both schools since engineering, at least at undergrad level, in canada is essentially the same no matter which school you go to. All programs are accredited and set to the same standards. However where they differ is work experience programs (ex waterloos coop program) and ultimately where you want to work. If you go to Mcgill it will be easier to find a job in montreal then in toronto. The same thing applies for uoft.

Im pretty sure both schools have there own programs for work experience. I know Uoft has PEY (professional experience year) which allows students after third year to apply for 8-16 month paid internships. The rankings within Canada mean close to nothing, for example many people feel waterloo is a better school then uoft even though uoft is ranked higher. Choose more based upon where you want to live and the campus.

By the way uoft does have school spirit its called SKULE lol. Skule And having partied in both cities i personally prefer Montreal but Toronto is a great city. Personally im going to uoft for engineering next year but my reasoning has more to do with my program.