Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance of getting into McGill (American student)

RHannah45RHannah45 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited February 2011 in McGill University
I go to a very competitive public high school in the United States and I have already applied to McGill University in Montreal but I would like to know if other people think I have a shot of getting in.

SATS
math:690
critical reading: 720
writing : 710

ACT (with writing) : 31 composite

I have taken a total of 5 AP courses and this is my fifth year of a language. I don't want to get too specific with all of my classes and so on, I just would like an estimate of whether or not I have a chance at getting into McGill!
Post edited by RHannah45 on

Replies to: Chance of getting into McGill (American student)

• RHannah45RHannah45 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    and the application does not require an essay or recommendations but my counselor sent one anyway
  • thewarmheartthewarmheart Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    well i got
    M: 610
    CR: 580
    W: 600

and i'm definately applying to McGill. I'm international as well~ Malawi :)
    hopefully my school record will make up for my atrocious SAT grades, which i didnt prepare for at all and it's a bit of a crisis because i can't take them again (international dates are limited etc)
    I got distinction in IGCSE and hopefully will get over 38-41 points in IB.

i think i may have a tiny minute chance which is better than nothing, they are lenient sometimes, so just believe in yourself fro crying out loud.
  • amr2014amr2014 Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
    I think you have a great chance... SAT's/ACT are right around their range and the transcript seems strong

Based on this alone, I'd say you have over 50% shot, but if your EC's/essays are good enough, then you should be fine

PLEASE Chance me back!!
  • thewarmheartthewarmheart Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    They don't consider EC's. I think i'll send in an essay and recommendations anyways as well, i don't know how they an base admission solely on grades.
  • newfoundgloryspnewfoundglorysp Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    I go to McGill, and it's all on grades and SAT/ACT scores.

though to keep your prospects up, I got in with a 1690 SAT chem sat II 670 and math sat II 670 and ACT score of a 28.

so, there's hope for you guys yet. almost 20% if not more of McGill is international, so I'm sure you guys will be fine. Really depends on what faculty you apply to though, some are harder than others
  • RHannah45RHannah45 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    thanks everyone! i am so overwhelmed by some of the stats of the kids on this site haha it's making me nervous
  • awesomenessxxawesomenessxx Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I was just wondering if you knew the less competitve programs. I know Biomedical Science is very competitive, but what about other science majors? I am really interested in Mcgill and I want to know the best science major to apply for US students that would increase chances for acceptance.

my ACT composite is 29 just for general knowledge
  • coffeecup2945coffeecup2945 Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
    What faculty in McGill is the easiest to get into? What is the least competitive program? What is the most competitive? How do you know?
  • arbitrarynamearbitraryname Posts: 105Registered User Junior Member
    ^coffeecup2945 afaik the most competitive program is probably arts&science this year. individually, the faculty of arts and the faculty of science aren't as competitive. others, no idea.
    how do i know? i read it on CC somewhere. Try site:talk.collegeconfidentialk.com googling the faculty of arts and science; you'll probably find something on that.
  • beefinbjbeefinbj Posts: 67Registered User Junior Member
    woooooo interfaculty!!!
  • arbitrarynamearbitraryname Posts: 105Registered User Junior Member
    oh and I think science is more competitive than arts. i also read this somewhere. i forget where.

beefinbj, why are you everywhere? think of the cows.
  • BBbunnyBBbunny Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Really? I was accepted into the Arts and Science program but waitlisted by Science-Biomed, Life sciences. =(
  • tomofbostontomofboston Posts: 2,114Registered User Senior Member
    Biomed/life sciences is probably the most selective of all the Science tracks.
  • coffeecup2945coffeecup2945 Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
    whats the least selective of all the science tracks?
  • Powa2Powa2 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    Science is generally very selective, but out of the sciences the physical sciences (ie. physics, chemistry, comp sci, math) are usually less selective than biomed/lifesci