Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

age limit on entering USMA

c_odonnellc_odonnell Posts: 13Registered User New Member
I just spoke to someone in admissions today who said that I cannot be 26 before June 1st of the year I graduate. However, it was my belief from the website that you just could not be over 22 when you entered in June. Does anyone have any definitive answers on this?
Post edited by c_odonnell on

Replies to: age limit on entering USMA

• ChristcorpChristcorp Posts: 1,177- Member
    According to the eligibility standards; it says:

At least 17, but less than 23 years of age by July 1 of the year you would enter. The age requirement is public law and cannot be waived.
  • Luigi59Luigi59 Posts: 1,155Registered User Senior Member
    Federal Law is pretty clear on the age requirements for West Point.

TITLE 10 > Subtitle B > PART III > CHAPTER 403 > § 4346

Cadets: requirements for admission

(a)
    To be eligible for admission to the Academy a candidate must be at least 17 years of age and must not have passed his twenty-third birthday on July 1 of the year in which he enters the Academy.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sec_10_00004346----000-.html
  • c_odonnellc_odonnell Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    That is exactly what I was basing my information on. I would be 22 on May 18 of next year making me 26 by the time I graduate. According to the MAJ in admissions I spoke I would not be eligible because I will be 26 by June 1 of the year I graduate. I hope he is mistaken.
  • WAMom68WAMom68 Posts: 481Registered User Member
    http://admissions.usma.edu/FAQs/faqs_admission.cfm
    The USMA admissions page says nothing about your age when you graduate, it only states you must not yet be 23 by July 1 of the year you enter. What you were told doesn’t make sense because anyone showing up on R-day that is already 22 will be 26 when they graduate. I think someone in admissions made a mistake.
  • ChristcorpChristcorp Posts: 1,177- Member
    Because graduation is ALWAYS before July of each year; just realize that you CAN'T be 27 years old when you GRADUATE. (Except for rare circumstances)

Look at it like the store that shows that the sign "YOU CAN BUY CIGARETTES IF YOU WERE BORN BEFORE THIS DATE". In this case it's the opposite.

"YOU CAN GO TO THE MILITARY ACADEMIES IN 2008 IF BORN AFTER:"
    JULY 1st 1985

"YOU CAN GO TO THE MILITARY ACADEMIES IN 2009 IF BORN AFTER:"
    JULY 1st 1986

Basically, if your birthday is June 30th 1985 or earlier, you CAN'T go to the academy.

P.S. It doesn't need to mention the max age at graduation, because unlike a traditional school you HAVE to graduate in 4 years. There are exceptions for 4 consecutive years due to injury, health, academic waiver, etc... but you only get 4 years to get your degree. It is possible to be 27 years old at graduation.