Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Guidance For BA/MD Programs

124»

Replies to: Guidance For BA/MD Programs

• satplanotxsatplanotx Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    what is SBU program? can u give full name?
  • satplanotxsatplanotx Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi, I live in Texas. anybody this year or last year got through with direct medical 7 or 8 year program. Has - top 3 rank, 2250+ sat score, several leadership positions, research etc. I did everything I can to prepare. But I know direct medical program is very competitive, I am not looking for TOP direct medical like northwest, but at same time very small schools like st. louis. trying to target mid range direct medical programs like - univ. of Houston, and such (please don't get me wrong by this comment, please!). Anybody has good recommendation on mid-range somewhat has some chance to get into mid-range medical program? Does anybody has any experience how hard to get into - temple university,virginia common, etc.? I will apply everything in Texas. But for outstate - which universities will have best chance for direct medical program? (private or public)
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 892 Member
    @satplanotx Review and make any posts in official threads created for BS/MD programs of a given year.

Review (it will take lot of time) last year thread
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1784915-official-thread-for-2016-bsmd-applicants.html#latest

and you will get lot of input for all the questions you may have.

Also look at the 6 year UMKC program thread. Though you may or may not be interested in UMKC, that thread has so much information about BS/MD and Medicine in general to a very extensive level, thanks to a passionate doc @Roentgen .

There are few programs with identical names and causes confusion for initial readers. The one you are asking SBU and HPME. SBU stands for both Stony Brook University in NY and also St.Bonaventure University which has partnership with GWU. HPME, Northwestern HPME program and also U of Miami HPME program.

GL
  • RoentgenRoentgen Registered User Posts: 1,472 Senior Member
    Thank you @goldenrock!!! Always happy if the UMKC thread ends up helping applicants and parents, whether they're actually applying there or not. A lot of the information there is probably applicable to the Bachelor/MD conversation/discussion in general. Thank you for your continued and highly valuable contributions as well!!!
  • kkfieldskkfields Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Can anyone suggest some combined BA/BS MD programs for a friend. Her daughter is considering applying, but her unweighted GPA is around 3.3 (I know :( ) but she has a perfect ACT score. I know UMKC is an option, but anyone else experience the same that can share their experience?
  • kkfieldskkfields Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    She's just looking for programs where her daughter would even qualify to apply as many require a 3.7+ and above to even apply! thanks ya'll
124»
This discussion has been closed.