Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

*** BS/MD Results For Class of 2017 ***

Replies to: *** BS/MD Results For Class of 2017 ***

• premedinwestcoastpremedinwestcoast Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, do you think you can help me? I have a lot of questions about applying for this program
  • rc2017rc2017 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 28
    GPA: 4.0 (UW); 4.67 (W)
    Class Rank: N/A

SAT: 2380
    Subscores: Math (790), Reading (800), Writing (790)

SAT Subject Tests:
    Biology: 800
    Chemistry: 800
    Math 2: 800

AP’s at time of application (11 total, 5 on all AP exams):
    Biology
    Calculus AB
    Calculus BC
    Chemistry
    English Language and Composition
    Macroeconomics
    Microeconomics
    Physics 2
    Spanish Language and Composition
    Statistics
    United States History
    World History

Senior AP's (6 in senior year):
    Physics C Mechanics
    Computer Science
    English Literature and Composition
    United States Government and Politics
    Psychology
    Environmental Science

Teacher Recs: (Hopefully) Excellent

State: PA
    Ethnicity: Indian American
    Hooks: Don’t think I had any major “hooks,” like URM, low-income, etc.

Major ECs:
    - Research (since freshman year; oral, poster presentations at professional scientific conferences)
    - Future Business Leaders of America (national and state award winner)
    - Flute (award winner)
    - Science Competitions (USABO, USNCO, Science Bowl, science fairs, etc.)
    - Speech/Debate, Model UN - Parliamentarian
    - Mu Alpha Theta (National Math Honor Society) - Treasurer
    - Science Bowl Team - Founder & Captain
    - Chess Club - President
    - Musical Outreach Club - Secretary
    - Boy Scouts - Life Scout Rank
    - Tennis
    - Spanish Club
    - National Honor Society

Community Service:
    - Physical Therapy volunteer at local hospital
    - Teach chess at local elementary school
    - Volunteer w/ local rotary club at VA Hospital
    - Perform music at local venues like retirement communities, hospitals, libraries w/ Musical Outreach Club

Medically related activities:
    - 4 years of biomedical research at University of Pittsburgh (worked in the lab during school year and summer); 2 years in a transplant immunology lab; 2 years in a molecular imaging lab
    - Volunteered at local hospital, VA hospital
    - Shadowed transplant nephrologist
    - Shadowed cardiologist

Major Awards/Honors (Did my best to cut it down from my CV, sorry for the length):

Academic
    - 2017 National Merit Scholar
    - Coca-Cola Scholars Program Semifinalist
    - National AP Scholar Award

Research
    - Oral Presentation, American Medical Informatics Association 2016 Annual Symposium (12th grade)
    - First & Presenting Author, Poster Presentation at University of Pittsburgh Science 2016 (12th grade)
    - First & Presenting Author, Poster Presentation at University of Pittsburgh Science 2015 (11th grade)
    - Coauthor, Poster Presentation at World Transplant Congress 2014, Poster of Distinction (10th grade)

Science/Math
    - Semifinalist, United States of America Biology Olympiad (11th grade)
    - Semifinalist, United States National Chemistry Olympiad (11th grade)
    - National Winner, President’s Environmental Youth Award (11th grade)
    - Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS):
    o 1st Place in State Competition (11th, 9th grade)
    o 1st Place in Regional Competition – Perfect Score (11th, 9th grade)
    o Director’s Award in Biology (11th grade)
    o Provost’s Award from Duquesne University (11th grade)
    o Multidisciplinary Science Award (11th grade)
    - 3rd Place & Regional Finalist, Southwestern Pennsylvania Science Bowl (11th grade)

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
    - National Awards:
    o National Finalist in Economics (11th Grade)
    o 5th Place in Introduction to Business (10th grade)
    - State (Pennsylvania) Awards:
    o 3rd Place in Economics (11th grade)
    o 2nd Place in Introduction to Business (10th grade)

Forensics and Model United Nations
    - Best Large Delegation, University of Pittsburgh Model United Nations Conference (12th grade)
    - 1st Place in Impromptu Speaking, Penn State Erie Speech and Debate Tournament (10th grade)
    - 2nd Place, University of Pittsburgh Model United Nations Conference (10th grade)

Flute
    - Selected as 1st Flute, 2nd Chair in PMEA District Orchestra (11th grade)
    - Selected as 1st Flute, 3rd Chair in PMEA District Honors Band (11th grade)
    - Selected as 1st Flute in PMEA District Band East (11th grade)
    - Selected as 2nd Flute, 4th Chair in Allegheny Valley Honors Band (9th grade)

Spanish
    - Silver Medal, National Spanish Exam Level IV (10th grade)

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:
    1) Northwestern HPME - interview - ACCEPTED
    2) Brown PLME - Rejected RD
    3) University of Pittsburgh GAP - interview - Rejected
    4) Washington University in St. Louis USP - Rejected pre-interview
    5) Case Western PPSP - Rejected pre-interview

Applied to the following undergraduate:
    1) Yale - ACCEPTED (Likely Letter)
    2) Duke - ACCEPTED (A.B. Duke Scholar - Full-ride merit scholarship)
    3) Johns Hopkins University - ACCEPTED (Hodson Trust Scholar - $35K/yr merit scholarship)
    4) University of Pennsylvania Vagelos Program in Life Sciences and Management - ACCEPTED
    5) Case Western Undergrad - ACCEPTED
    6) University of Pittsburgh Undergrad - ACCEPTED (Honors College)
    7) WUSTL Undergrad - ACCEPTED
    8) Brown Undergrad - Waitlisted
    9) University of Michigan - Waitlisted
    10) Stanford - Rejected

DECISION: Northwestern HPME

Scholarship / Aid: None. Don't qualify.

Reflection in next post.
    Post edited by vonlost on
  • rc2017rc2017 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Continued from previous post

Reflection:

More than anything, what I took away from this application process was an overwhelming impression of the unpredictability of college and medical school admissions as well as a much greater appreciation for my amazing peers all over the country. During the process of interviewing for BA/MD programs and undergraduate scholarships I met so many fantastic people with astounding accomplishments that truly blew my mind, but the truth of the matter is that none of them, no matter how successful they were, got into every school/program they applied to, underscoring the unpredictable nature of this process. So, don’t be disheartened by a few, or even many, rejections - all you need is one acceptance to the right place for you.

In terms of BA/MD admissions, I cannot stress enough the importance of the essays and the interview. While most of the applicants will have the same stellar scores and extracurriculars that you do, what differentiates those that are accepted from those that are not is the personal aspect of the application process - the passion, personality, and institutional fit that come through in your writing and during the face-to-face interactions on interview day. In my experience, I found the institutional fit to be a factor whose significance I underestimated in the BA/MD application process. In my applications, I clearly articulated not only my passion for medicine but also my strong interests in business and bioinformatics, stating my firm intention to pursue a career as a physician-scientist and physician-executive. While these auxiliary interests fit with the vision of Northwestern HPME, which aims to foster multi-dimensional physicians through flexible undergraduate curriculum and the immense accessibility of pursuing multiple degrees (like an MBA, MPH, etc.) during medical school, I felt that other programs, Pitt GAP and CWRU PPSP in particular, sought candidates with a desire to be purely clinicians. Similarly, I found Brown PLME to have a heavy preference for candidates with a strong inclination toward the arts and humanities. These selective preferences among programs are actually a benefit to the applicant, though, since it essentially saves you from potentially choosing a program that doesn’t fit your interests.

One last piece of advice I have, which applies to both BA/MD and general undergraduate admissions, is to not lose sight of the end of the application process - choosing which school you want to spend the next 4 (or 7-8 yrs) at. In the stress of college admissions, with countless essays and interviews as well as ever-looming deadlines, it is easy to get swept into an “applicant’s mindset” - in the process of selling yourself to a school, you will focus on all the positives of every school you’re applying to and you will find yourself falling in love with all of these schools, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. However, when you get all of your decisions back by April 1st, you will only have a month to make a choice by May 1st. Having sold myself on all of the schools/programs I was applying to, it was especially difficult for me to choose between schools, especially between Northwestern HPME, Yale, Duke (A.B. Duke Scholar), and UPenn LSM. Ultimately, I had to take a step back and evaluate what was really important to me and what I valued in a school. Personally, this was a strange transition to make - from selling myself to schools, the dynamics shifted to schools selling themselves to me - and I found it somewhat difficult to look critically at these amazing programs. Nevertheless, I am confident I made the right decision in choosing HPME and I look forward to what awaits me during the next seven years at Northwestern.

Feel free to reach out and ask me any questions you may have. I am happy to help!
  • srk2017srk2017 Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    @rc2017 - great post(s). I am little surprised that you gave up Duke and JHU scholarships for full pay at Northwestern.
  • rk2017rk2017 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Thank you @rc2017 for the stats. Wish more people had shared theirs. For my part I will share my daughter's in a brief and useful fashion. She has opted to go to BU SMED program.
    Here they are:

GPA at time of applying: 3.83 (UW); 4.26 (W)
    Class Rank: N/A

ACT 1 sitting: 35(.25)
    Subscores: Math 36, English 36, Reading 33, Science 36

SAT: Not taken

SAT Subject Tests:
    Chemistry: 800
    Math 2: 790

AP’s at time of application ( 5 on all AP exams):

Biology
    Calculus BC
    Chemistry
    Microeconomics

Senior AP's expecting 5s on all of them as well:

Physics C Mechanics
    Physics C E&M
    Macroeconomics
    Statistics
    Psychology

College courses at community college:
    Business
    College Composition

Teacher Recs: (Hopefully) Excellent

State: NJ
    Ethnicity: Asian Indian American
    Hooks: None

Major ECs:

- National Honor Society Executive Committee

Community Service:
    - Multiple since freshman year
    - President's gold medallion

Medically related activities:
    - Shadowed gastroenterologist in junior and senior years

Research
    - Worked with a cognitive scientist at Johns Hopkins during summer of junior year and presented a paper at the conclusion (not published)

Science/Math
    - Volunteer at Liberty Science center for 2 years.

Cultural:
    - Learned classical Indian dance for 10+ years and graduated (Arangetram)

Other:
    - Marching band, flutist and member of the 4 time state champion school team
    - Performed at SuperBowl and Disney World

DECISION: Boston University Accelerated Liberal Arts Medical program

Scholarship / Aid: None
    @rk2017 - Thanks for posting. Can you please also provide which BS/MD and UG programs your D applied and the outcomes.
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 892 Member
    Saw a news item in this week's local newspaper. Bhavana a girl from East Bay area American HS is one of 6 selected for BS/MD at Rice/Baylor for 2017. (In 2015 cycle a girl from South Bay got selected for Rice/Baylor)
  • AlabamaStudentAlabamaStudent Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    GPA : 5.16 (w), 3.9 (uw)
    ACT : 34
    Shadowing : Plentiful
    Volunteer : Plentiful (Hospital, community events, etc)
    Clubs : HOSA, Physics, NHS, Math Team, and many more
    Work Experience: Med Tech (part time summer job), certified Life Guard
    Physician Relative : none
    Race : Multi

Applied at : UAB, USA, UAH (I applied only in-state)
    Results :
    UAH - Full tuition + Housing : No Medical School
    USA - Full tuition + additional scholarship COMEAP : Selected
    UAB - Full tuition + additional scholarship EMSAP: Interviewed but not selected

Decision : USA

Did not post sooner. Since I am only interested with in-state universities. I am very happy with my decision. There were some anxious moments of waiting. One of the physician I shadowed, he advises me to study hard, do well and follow my dream.

If you are interested in any of the three universities, they are all good. They are very generous with their scholarship funding. Specially if you are in-state. Nothing beats a full tuition undergraduate degree.
  • Hades321Hades321 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    @Goldenrock she is my classmate's daughter. Happy for her. Does Rice/Baylor select only 6?
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 892 Member
    @Hades321 Yes. that is what the news article mentioned. If I remember correctly other years also it is close to 5-6 only Rice/Baylor selects.
  • BS_MD2017BS_MD2017 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    It could be just me but Rice/Baylor admission process seems very interesting and is worth a discussion - as there may be more to the interview process here.. Two Points to note here:

1. They are the last ones to interview candidates (in fact very very late) and declare results - in fact when they interview all other results are out ( :) )and their results are declared just a week before May 1 deadline....

2. It would we nice and informative to understand the breakdown of the 6 candidates selected - This is a very selective program and would be interesting to know the folks who got in where they fell into in the below two categories..

a). Out of State and IN States
    b). How many other programs did the individuals get in other than RB program (I sense there is some interesting insight here).

• dana_kdana_k Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Does graduating from a BS/MD program make you as competitive for residencies as the graduates from top med schools?
    edited August 3
    @dana_k - It all depends on the program and the student. However, I did see an old report which said they don't do as well as traditional 4 yr undergrad students. It may be due to amount time spent on research and volunteering.
    @dana_k, guess it depends on which bs/ba md program and as always the student him/her self. I read somewhere that RPI/Albany program grads tend to get pretty decent residency placements though Albany Medical school is not that eminent. This is perhaps owing to the focus on research the students are exposed to for most part of that 7 year program. I would imagine the same for the students in the accelerated programs of more well known and research intensive institutions like Boston, North Western and Penn State. Students can focus their time and energy more on what that really interest and matter to them in a not so stressful and competitive setup, rather than trying to develop an overall well rounded background to impress prospective medical schools at a future time, since they are already pretty much assured of a career.