Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Replies to: ***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

• tripledouble2000tripledouble2000 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    @atx789 I think, if you are 100% sure that you want to practice medicine as your career, you should definitely apply to some bsmd programs no matter your chances. As for chances, I would say your academic qualifications are pretty decent, but keep in mind that most bsmd applicants will have a near perfect GPA with SAT scores of 1550 and above, and even in that pool, <5% are accepted into a bsmd program. What really matters then is your ECs and other achievements. I can clearly see that you have a focus in medicine, but nearly everyone wanting to go into medicine, bsmd or traditional pre-med, volunteers at hospitals and clinics for upwards of 100+ hours, so I would not count on hospital volunteering to be your strongest EC. Also, NSLC happens to be a for-profit non-university affiliated organization that runs programs nation wide. They do not choose students based on merit so basically anyone who pays $3000 can attend it. Colleges know this, and unfortunately this may not give you the kind of academic respect/prestige you hope to get from attending it. Nevertheless, it certainly is a good opportunity to learn more about the medical field and gain exposure in different areas of it. I think overall, you are definitely a "good enough" applicant to be considered for a position in a bsmd program (you are competitive), but I would suggest you work on your ECs a bit more, and try to do something out of the ordinary. That said, I still think you should definitely apply to bsmd programs if you really want to go into medicine! :)
  • atx789atx789 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @atx789 A little more advice: I'm guessing (from your screen name) that you are from Texas (so am I, I'm from Austin), so I would suggest you apply to a lot of instate bsmd programs since you likely won't be competing against applicants from all over the country and the world. Rice/Baylor takes applicants from all over the US I think, but there are a lot that are reserved only for Texas residents such as FAME (UTSA), UMSI (Texas Tech), and Baylor/Baylor.
    @tripledouble2000 I am also from Austin! And I think I'm applying to UMSI, Baylor, Penn state, Drexel/drexel, Rochester, Northwestern, Temple, and UAB.
    @atx789 that's super cool that you're from Austin too! I'm applying to a lot of the same ones that you are including UMSI, Drexel, Rochester, Northwestern, and UAB. But I am applying to PLME, FAME, and WUSTL USP instead of Baylor, Penn State, and Temple.
    edited June 9
    @tripledouble2000 That's cool! I can't seem to find the website for UTSA FAME though...
    @atx789 I just checked and it appears that you are right. Do you think they have discontinued the program?
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 892 Member
    edited June 9
    I guess it was discontinued bc UTSA is not on the complete list of bs md programs for 2017 either
    https://www.premedhq.com/2011/07/list-of-bamd-programs.html it looks like UTSA is not on this list either so I guess it was discontinued
    https://www.premedhq.com/2011/07/list-of-bamd-programs.html it looks like UTSA is not on this list either so I guess it was discontinued
  • IndivisibleIndivisible Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I talked to the FAME program director, and she confirmed that UT FAME has been cancelled.
    Yes, @Indivisible thanks for clarifying. I sent Tracy Lopez (FAME director) an email on Sunday asking about FAME and she replied yesterday saying it has been suspended. It's a real bummer, I was really counting on applying there.
  • IndivisibleIndivisible Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Does anyone know what's going to happen to the other Texas BSMD Programs, like Texas Tech and UH?
    @Indivisible Both of their websites are still up so I think they are continuing this year. I think it was just UTSA that decided to stop FAME.