Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Replies to: ***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

• GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    edited June 20
    @LushLillies Good to know that you have done enough research on your college application process and active in multiple threads in CC. Few quick comments.
    1. Explore to strengthen your passion for medical related activities (whether shadowing and/or volunteering)
    2. UR is also an excellent BS/MD experience and consider for applying. (they have tunnel and it is manageable. by the way, Boston is colder than UofMichigan!)
    3. For regular programs, consider UCB (since interested in CS) and UofM
    4. To contain COA, consider schools which give close to free ride, especially for NMF. Schools like OU give 5 years of free tuition and it can be used for Masters or Professional courses like MD/JC/MBA also. My D gone in that path and plans to do UG in 3 years and getting free tuition for 2 years of MD.(but it is not highly ranked, if that is important skip it).
  • tripledouble2000tripledouble2000 Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    @GoldenRock @LushLillies #5 is something I plan to do, so you may want to look into it. For example, I plan to apply to the bs/md programs at Drexel, UAB, and Texas Tech (in-state for me) which have all confirmed that they give either full rides or full tuition for NMFs (which I think I will be because of my high PSAT score index of 226). Thus, if I get into any of these programs, not only am I guaranteed an MD in 8 years or fewer, but I will also pay no money for tuition during my undergrad years, and will not be in as much debt as other MDs when graduating. I recommend you look into this option. :)
    Sorry, I meant #4
  • Empire007Empire007 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    edited June 21
    @LushLillies there was some debate in the 2017 thread about what you said about BSMD being slightly easier to get into than getting into med school via the traditional route and both students wouldn't have trouble getting into med school anyway.

There were 2 opinions on this, some (like myself) believe that comparing the two options it is easier going the BSMD route because you are competing with about 1/10th the number of applicants that you would be applying against after undergrad and others believe that a steller student in HS will be a steller student in college. That train of thought about going the traditional route might end up being true and someone opened a thread on that subject to kind of track the experience of students who went that route after turning down BSMD.

My DC started BSMD in fall of 2016 so I had never tracked any stats prior to 2015, but after doing our own research we as a family agreed that if BSMD did not work out, going the pre-med route was not in play simply because to us there seemed to be so many factors in addtition to just stellar grades that had to fall into place in order to get admission to a US med school after undergrad. Other families most definitely would see it differently. Getting into a mid or low tier BSMD as opposed to going traditional route and getting into a top tier Med School is a huge thing to consider no doubt.

Cost is a huge factor and you are 100% right, most BSMD programs are extremely expensive. But keep in mind the requirement you brought up about WashU, you will have to keep higher than a 3.80 if you plan to be in serious contention going the traditional route anyway. You seem to have the right attitude going in, and your priorities are in order. I wish you luck this coming year.
  • jessapenjessapen Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    There are exceptions but as a whole, I agree that getting into A BS/MD program is still easier than a traditional route MD program.
  • misophoniaxmisophoniax Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    edited June 23
    Hi CC community. If there are any people wishing to apply to BS/MD programs this upcoming fall and need advice/guidance please PM me. I have a lot of time to kill before college starts, so I'd like to help out in any way! I was in your shoes last year. Just as an FYI, I'll be attending Stony Brook as part of its Scholars for Medicine program.
  • GreenPoisonGreenPoison Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited June 24
    @tripledouble2000 Drexel no longer gives full scholarships for NMF. I called them a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure if they even give out any guaranteed money for NMSF or NMF
    @GreenPoison thank you for letting me know; I know many colleges that have bsmd programs give full rides to regular undergrad students and when I asked them if bsmd students still get the same full rides, they said yes. I assumed Drexel had the same policy, but thank you for correcting me!
  • Stephen_GStephen_G Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi, I'm an incoming sophomore and would be really appreciative if someone could give me some feedback on my credentials and give me any advice on how to go forward with trying to get into to a competitive bsmd program like PLME, HPME, or PPSP.
    I have a 3.91 unweighted gap, and a 4.37 weighted ( Florida has really high inflation on their GPAs, but to put it in perspective, the Valdictorian this year had a 6.0 and soludarorian had 5.6, both as seniors)
    I took 3 APs this year and am taking another 3 next year( waiting on the scores)
    I also took 2 SATsubject tests (and am also waiting on the scores)
    For both APs and SAT sub tests I felt really good
    My ECs are model UN and wrestling at school. Out of school I am volunteering at a doctors office , I'm looking to get another volunteering job at a children's hospital, and am starting a research project on interstim placement with the same doctor who runs the office I volunteer at, I'm also trying to shadow one of two orthopedic surgeons, I also helped cofound a charity called little angels worldwide that raises money for orphanages in Croatia and Nigeria, and am going over there this summer to present the money and work with the orphans in Croatia.
    If anyone has any advice would you please lend it to me, thanks
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    @Stephen_G It is nice already you have a strong start with your EC related to medicine and so continue them.
    Focus on your school coursework and maintain good GPA. Prepare well for tests and try to get solid scores.
    Prepare well for your essays in that summer and finalize selective BS/MD programs and few UG programs also.
    But don't assume or restrict only to xyz program since many times it is very hard to predict the outcome even if you perfect in all the key criteria's used for BS/MD admission. GL.
  • Stephen_GStephen_G Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Thanks for the help
    @Stephen_G I'm not sure how concerned these programs will be by you taking only 6 APs, but your weighted GPA looks good so that's fine. I would say in terms of ECs, you have a pretty clear focus in medicine, and if I were you I would try to secure that research internship soon since that will be an asset in your application. Also, like @GoldenRock said, you may want to apply to a wider range of BSMD programs since the ones you have chosen are top-notch and have very strict evaluation criteria. Are there any in your state that only accept in-state applicants? Those may be marginally easier to get into.
  • REOSpeedwagonREOSpeedwagon Registered User Posts: 13 New Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me a rough ballpark on my chances of admission. I'm from Iowa if that matters.

Stats

30 ACT
    3.9 GPA
    AP American History
    AP European History
    AP German

Achievements

Eagle Scout
    Norman Borlaug Scholar from World Food Prize Institute
    FFA President- 2 years
    Participated in Subdistrict and District FFA speech contests
    175 Volunteer Hours
    Coordinated Children's Veterinary Camp at Iowa State Fair
    Summer Camp counselour at an open air agricultural museum
    Animal Veterinary Science classes from local Community College
    ~25 hours shadowing veterinarians.
    ~25 hours shadowing physicians
    Took Biomedical Research classes at DMU (our local D.O. school).

Thanks for the help guys.
    @REOSpeedwagon those are some pretty unique ECs, so those will definitely help you stand out. Your ACT score is a bit low. Are you planning to retake it? If you do, you should try to get at least 34. Other than that, I would say you are pretty competitive. Which programs were you planning to apply for?
  • REOSpeedwagonREOSpeedwagon Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I think that is as high as my ACT is gonna get, lol (math is hard for me). I was hoping to major in German (something I really enjoy) and just get my MD through the 6 year program.