Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Replies to: ***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

• REOSpeedwagonREOSpeedwagon Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    @tripledouble2000 Do you think I would even stand a chance in the application process with an ACT score that low? I have also been looking at the cost and it seems super high. Would I be able to qualify for any scholarships being an out-of-stater? If not after my senior year I will be 6 credits away from my associate's degree, and at that point I would finish my undergrad at Iowa State and hopefully finish med school in the same time I would with the program anyways, so I might just go that route to save $$$, if you guys don't think I have a shot.
  • Empire007Empire007 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    edited June 25
    @REOSpeedwagon (great band by the way :))). If I can be honest with you, unless you are an URM, your chances are very slim for BSMD. Even if you are URM, your chances are not great because your ACT score is quite low for this competitive environment. Your GPA (you didn't clarify if that was weighted or unweighted) is in the ball park if it is unweighted. Your extra curriculars are ok. I know becoming an Eagle Scout is quite an accomplishment , but everything else you wrote does not really stand out IMHO. If you could increase your ACT to 34-35 range your chances would be better. Also some tangible medical research would help you immensely.
  • misophoniaxmisophoniax Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    @REOSpeedwagon If the programs you are applying to have minimum score requirements and your score surpasses them, then apply. I would recommend taking the ACT again since you have the entire summer. You never know. You might get lucky and the math portion might be easy. Just don't let the comments on here dissuade you from even applying. Just craft a really stellar personal statement, apply, and then see what happens! Not getting into BS/MD isn't the end of the world, and your plan seems pretty solid if getting into the program doesn't work out. All the best!
  • grtd2010grtd2010 Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 25
    @tripledouble2000 Drexel does not give any merit scholarship based on NMF status. One may expect a 20k merit based scholarship where as the COA is around 65k/yr for UG. One should not consider applying if one cannot afford to pay 45k/yr or more for UG. There are folks who are going to bsmd program at Drexel paying like 45k/yr with no need-based FA (No loans of any kind).
  • tripledouble2000tripledouble2000 Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    @grtd2010 thank you for correcting me, I just realized that also and I think I can pay that amount though it would not be ideal. @REOSpeedwagon I think that ACT score, like @misophoniax said, surpasses the requirements many programs have, but it would be optimal if you could raise it. I believe there are still 1 or 2 dates available to take it before the deadline for these programs; just practice really hard and see if you can raise it. Also, many colleges with bsmd programs do offer scholarships even for OOS students, two of them being UMKC (this is a 6 year program and I think they offer scholarships but I'm not too sure) and UAB.
  • Stephen_GStephen_G Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi, I was thinking about doing volunteer work for an organization like homes for humanity or something, I was wondering if programs look any more favorably on your volunteering if it's local or someplace out of the country like Mexico or El Salvador? Also would homes for humanity be a good choice for volunteering, or does anyone have any better suggestions?
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    Don't spend money (in thousands) to attend some camp in foreign countries just to show that you are doing some medical related activities. They will simply back fire. Show your true passion, help any one who are underserved (inner city kids or elderly people or any vulnerable population who get free health care by some local orgs). Do things in a consistent way and not just to pad your resume, which school folks can easily guess.
  • JayShayyJayShayy Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Does anyone know if we need to have taken physics to be accepted into these programs? I just got my class list today but it turns out that I wasn't given a physics class.
    @JayShayy I believ for some you must, however UMKC you do not.
  • mouse2mouse2 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 26
    Hi, I was wondering if you guys could rank these programs by quality and how well they fit my resume, and give me an estimate of my chances for each. I'm a rising senior looking for colleges in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast that are primarily research-heavy (neuroscience?) as most of my ECs are research-based, and because I have only one leadership position (Chinese Honor Society Co-president), and my community service is poor.

RPI/AMC (alumni = a cousin)
    TCNJ/NJMS
    NJIT/NJMS
    Penn/SKMC
    Stonybrook/Stonybrook
    Drexel 8 year
    Lehigh/Drexel
    Pitt 8 year
    Case Western

GPA: 4.52W, 3.90 UW, school doesn't officially rank but it's 2 or 3 out of 305
    SAT I: 1580 (790/790), SAT Bio - 800, AP Bio - 5
    Pending tests (what I think I got) - AP Chem (5), AP English Lang (4-5), SAT Chem (800), SAT Math 2 (750)

Research Experience:
    -A class in junior year where we partnered with Rutgers to perform and present research. Resulted in 2x published sequences in NCBI (protein database). Pursuing it further in my senior year as an independent study for hopefully 2x more publications. Will also be helping teacher with her grad-level research and will get my name on her paper, but will most likely not have it published for years.
    -105 hours at a human molecular genetics lab in India where I learned research techniques
    -Have taken outside classes at a community lab in NY where I learned the use of CRISPR/Cas9 (cutting-edge molecular tech) and about the interface of technology and biological research.

Community Service:
    -25 hours at a hospital (boring, filing work, not much patient interaction), about 50 more coming up this summer in hopefully a better department (med/surge)
    -~20 hours at Alzheimer's facility in a retirement home. Extremely enriching experience and the highlight of my essays. 50 more hours coming up this summer.
    -Planning to shadow a pediatrician for ~20-25 hours this summer as well.

Other important awards/honors:
    -Nominated by teachers for New Jersey Governor's School in the Sciences (waitlisted)
    -Chinese Honor Society, National Honor Society

I am also planning to start a chapter of Science National Honor Society at my school.

Race/Gender/Sexual Identity - Indian-American/Male/Heterosexual

Please add suggestions for research/physician-scientist BS/MD programs if you have any. I tried to keep things as concise as possible, but I can clarify or elaborate on anything. Thank you all so very much!

• GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    Just to give an idea. Not in any particular order within each category. Also some may go in to different tier
    Top: Northwest, Wash U, Rice/Baylor, UPitt, U of Rochester, CWRU
    Mid: Boston U, RPI/AMC, Penn, StonyBrook, xxx/NJMS
    Bottom: Connecticut, U of Cincinnati, Drexel,
    @mouse2 It looks good, but programs like these may want to see some community service. I would try and get some service hours in just to beef up your EC's. If at all possible, you may also want to get try and fill a leadership position in one of your clubs as well.
    @empire007 I am as white as sour cream so it's probably a no go for me, lol. I thought some of my EC's were kinda cool and definetley unique, but they are mostly ag related (I'm a farm kid, whaddya expect lol). I did do some cancer cell research at DMU, and presented my findings at DUCURS 2017, which is an undergraduate science fair at the Drake School of Pharmacy The 3.9 is my unweighted GPA. I think I may just go undergraduate and dental school instead. I will graduate debt-free from undergraduate in two years and finish dental school in four (if I get in). Dentistry also means working less hours and still getting to help people, which is my main goal in life. Thanks for the response!
  • mouse2mouse2 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 27
    @GoldenRock Thanks!
    @REOSpeedwagon Yeah, I'm hoping to get about 100 more hours this summer. Do you think that would be enough? For leadership I'm Chinese Honor Society co-president and I've contacted my principal about setting up a Science National Honor Society. Hopefully that works out. Thanks!
  • Empire007Empire007 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    @REOSpeedwagon you didn't mention anything specific in your earlier post about your research...cancer cell research and presenting your work at a conference definitely changes things. Having presented your work at a state, regional or national level is a big plus. As I stated earlier, I still feel if you want to have a 'serious shot' at BSMD, try and raise your ACT score to at least 34, and really push the specifics of your research in your common app and specifically your supplemental apps (that is a great talking point). 3.9 unweighted is definitely a competitive GPA as well. Also judging by the demographics I saw when my DC had multiple interviews, being white may not be such a detrement. Most people we saw in the interviews were of Asian decent (either Chinese or Indian). Otherwise going undergrad and later trying for med or dental is of course a personal preference. I wish you luck..