Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

boston university

Replies to: boston university

• rishug87rishug87 Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    i heard that in the new rankings for us news boston jumped to number 28 on the list! well thats what i heard from somebody
  • medheadmedhead Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    buckwald, I think u got into HPME didn't u? I got into measly DAP University of cincinnati, but I am way happy, I'll take whatever I can get, i think u have quite a few great choices, which will it be? U need the MCAT at UCIn but only need a 27. So, not so bad. Do you have to take the MCAT at Northwestern?
  • soliloquysoliloquy Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    I'm currently a junior, with my prospective major being BME. Boston University offers an Engineering/Medical Integrated Curriculum (8 years). Does anyone know if this program is only offered to BME students at BU or is it one of the options when applying as a HS senior to BU's BA/MD program?
  • sss120sss120 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    rishug87,

dunno about that. US news website still has BUSM sitting at 43. where did you get that info from?
  • rishug87rishug87 Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    that is for 2005, on april 1st, the rankings will revert to the 2006 version, some stores have the new list out right now
  • asterstarasterstar Registered User Posts: 603 Member
    I got in :)
    asterstar: Congratulations on your acceptance. Would you be comfortable posting your stats?
  • asterstarasterstar Registered User Posts: 603 Member
    sure.

1540 SAT
    800 Math 2C, 800 Writing, 800 French, 780 Chem, 770 US History
    4.0 uw, 4.6 w
    ECs:
    Research at NIH, 4th at ISEF, published a paper in a comp. sci conference
    hospital and hospice volunteering
    writer in county newspaper's teen section
    state awards for French
    strong recs, decently interesting essays
    *The interviews at BU are open-file, meaning that the interviewer reads your essays, recs, etc before interviewing you. So for me, it helped that I wrote a non-stereotypical essay (for an asian, anyways) that my interviewer was able to discuss with me.

dunno what else....hth
    rishug87 was correct. BUSM has moved up to the #28 slot on the US News rankings for 2006, a jump of 15 slots! The magazine is available in Barnes & Noble (that's where I saw it.)
  • kewlkiwi102kewlkiwi102 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    WOW. BUSM moved up 15 places??? thats HUGE. I wont beleive it totally till I see it for myself though.
    My questions though, given that its the truth:
    1. What changed that they moved up so much?
    2. What is the probablility that this jump is temporary and BU will start to drop next year?
    3. Is it a typo?
  • mr_sanguinemr_sanguine Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    lol good old US News prolly changed one of their ranking criteria.
  • kewlkiwi102kewlkiwi102 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    good point. if thats the case, which it probably is, ill be interested to see how other rankings have been rearranged. guess this is just a testament to how unimportant these rankings are, huh?

also, is anyone else having a hard time getting away from thinking about how important the ranking of a school is though?
    This latest US News and World Reports ranking is only of medical schools and not of colleges, in general, correct?
    i think I'll answer all the questions in the last couple messages:

I dont think it's a typo. they wouldn't make such a mistake in such an important issue.

I was talking to a friend of mine who works in a BUSM lab, and he said he wasn't surprised, as the school's doing a lot of critical research and is taking more competitive applicants. he also told me that the med school has some of the best professors & departments in the country. i don't think the school will fall next year.

some schools move around, while others didnt. feinberg stayed at 20. i believe brown moved up to 40.

yes, this is of medical schools. look in barnes & noble for "US News and world report: 2006 Best Graduate Schools"

yea I think we have to be able to blind ourselves a bit to these rankings. in my opinion, there's only one thing that determines how good your medical education is: how much you push yourself to learn. yea the school's important, but your own personal drive is essential.
  • mail4nrsmail4nrs Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    Can you find out what is the ranking for Albany Medical college, Drexel College of Medicine and University of miami.
This discussion has been closed.