Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Accelerated Pgms: listings & rankings.

hannanaqhannanaq Posts: 488Registered User Member
edited August 2012 in Multiple Degree Programs
can all of you please list as many 6 or 7 year medical schools
they are really hard to find on the internet and i know this forum has about 100 of them listed already but a list of them in 1 thread would be really helpful to a lot of people who want to apply to these programs
here are some of the ones i know:
Penn State (6 yr)
U of Miami (FL) (7 yr, dunno about 6)
UKMC (?)
please continue this list
thanks to all
Post edited by hannanaq on

Replies to: Accelerated Pgms: listings & rankings.

• bharath2007bharath2007 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    St. Louis University and NEOUCOM (Northeast Ohio University College of Medicine)
  • MediterraneanMediterranean Posts: 260Registered User Junior Member
    University of Southern California
    University of California-San Diego (only by invite, CA residents)
    Drexel University
    Albany Medical College
    Temple University
    Vanderbilt University (ENGAGE Program)
    and, also UMDNJ

There's probably a few others I'm missing.

Another program is St. Louis University (not guaranteed admissions to med, but 98% acceptance rate for those who met the fairly decent requirements)
  • MediterraneanMediterranean Posts: 260Registered User Junior Member
    bharath, you beat me to the post!

How good, in your opinion, is SLU and its medical school? Thanks.
  • AnitaVMAnitaVM Posts: 2,037Registered User Senior Member
    Here's a few off the top of my head:

Brown PLME
    Northwestern HPME
    Case Western
    Miami
    UMKC
    Michigan (I've heard they're cutting this one...don't know if its going to continue)
    Miami
    Sophie Davis
    Howard University?

...that's all that my exhausted brain can think of for now lol :D
  • coincolectrcoincolectr Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    Can we also rate these in terms of their overall reputation or how hard they are to get into. Does anyone know if it is easier to get into RPI/AMC or Miami??
  • hannanaqhannanaq Posts: 488Registered User Member
    yea double what coincollector said
    and could you put 6 or 7 next to em if they are 6 or 7 year programs
    i know if you get into any of these they are great medical schools but do prestigious universities like brown university have an upper-edge on academics than the other universities
    i really appreciate the posting
    anyone have any others?
  • AnitaVMAnitaVM Posts: 2,037Registered User Senior Member
    Here's the # of years labels for the schools i listed in my last post:

Brown PLME --> 8 year
    Northwestern HPME --> 7 year
    Case Western --> 7 or 8 year option
    UMKC --> 6 years
    Michigan (I've heard they're cutting this one...don't know if its going to continue) --> 8 years
    Miami --> ???
    Sophie Davis --> 7 year
    Howard University --> 8 year

... hope that helps :D
  • ivybound1010ivybound1010 Posts: 485Registered User Member
    heard brooklyn college in ny has ba/md prog i think 8 yr
    suny stony brook has 8 year
    u rochester has 8 year prog
    northwestern has 7 year
    rice/baylor is 8 year
    umkc - 6 yr
    case western - i think 8 years
    brown plme is 8 years
    miami has one but i think might be for instate not sure
    sophie davis - cuny - has seven year

btw i heard rice/baylor, brown, and northwestern were the hardest to get into outta all these
    although they are all probably as hard to get into as any ivy leage school

anyone know anythign specifically on albany medical college and how good it is? because Usnews doesnt rank it. thanks.
  • ivybound1010ivybound1010 Posts: 485Registered User Member
    btw i think what really matters is not the undergrad of the prog but their medical school beacuse when u go for residency moist important thing is where u got ur md from
    rice's baylor is ranked 13th or so in us news- reallllllly nice
    and northwestern is 20 -al so reaallllly nice
    probably why they are so hard to get into
    but i dont know much about the rpi/amc program....please somoen comment on that
  • bharath2007bharath2007 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    I do not know enough about St. Louis University to comment on the quality of the school. I think many high school seniors are worried about attending a medical school not ranked according to USNews, and I can understand that. However, medical school quality CANNOT be ascertained from any aspect of USNews. Higher ranked schools are so ranked because of NIH funding. If medical students have limited to no research opportunities what use is this. As a high school senior the best thing to do would be to first research the structure of the clinical years (years 3 and 4) how many weeks is each rotation is primary care emphasized or specialties, how is one evaluated and by whom, what safeguards the school has against scutwork, etc. This link is especially helpful
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=104541&page=1&pp=20&highlight=back+4th
    The next thing after this is to look into whether the pre-clinical years (years 1 and 2) are Pass/Fail, Honors/Pass/Fail or Letter Grades (who wants to compete for grades). Problem Based Learning or traditional lectures, opportunities for research etc. I think the last thing one should look at are match lists for seniors, the types of fields and the places matched. Once a person has looked into all these things, can they get a feel for the quality of a medical school.
    does anyone have any info about University of Michigan Ann Arbor and University of Southern Cal's med programs
    someone earlier mentioned these programs and said Michigan was in the process of droping their's
    i wen to USC's website but i couldnt find the program
    if ne one can post a link, it would be great
    does anyone know of any others?
    i know there are only a handful of these programs in the US and very few people know about em so i just want to accumulate a bunch of schools in this thread because its very helpful info for aspiring doctors like ourselves :)
  • sat908sat908 Posts: 400Registered User Member
    AMC is supposed to be a really good med school...there are 3 programs, RPI, Siena, and Union college...did anybody mention Washington University (St. Louis)?
    Does Washington Uninversity in St. Louis have a 6-8 yr med program?????
    it has one of the top 3 medical schools in the country!!!
    i would love to go there
  • whightknightwhightknight Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    The BA/MD program at Washington University in St. Louis is total ********, literally.
    8 year program. You must maintain a 3.8 GPA throughout your 4 years of undergraduate. You must score a 36 on the MCAT to matriculate into the Medical School (36 is extremely high). And they only take 8 students in the entire nation. With such stats you could get into any med school in the country anyways.
    :| *gulp*
    ur kidding right
    that is why i want to go to a medical program were u dont have to worry about the MCATs