Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

YoungArts application

megpmommegpmom Posts: 2,615Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Music Major
My son is attempting to upload his submission to YoungArts. This year, all submissions must be electronic. He has successfully uploaded 3 songs, now it won't let him upload his other 2 (5 required for classical voice). Has anyone else had this problem? He's emailed the YoungArts helpdesk, but no reply. He's using Microsoft Silverlight.
Post edited by megpmom on

Replies to: YoungArts application

• glassharmonicaglassharmonica Posts: 2,497Registered User Senior Member
    We had a similar question for my daughter's theater application. We were confused because the directions seem to indicate the material should be uploaded in a single video, but there are fields for uploading. She emailed them on Friday and they got back to her on Tuesday, so I think they will answer you. (They answered that you can do it either way!) This is the first year they are doing electronic uploads, so there are probably some bugs!
  • megpmommegpmom Posts: 2,615Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks, I'll mention that to son. He was also confused about whether it should be one long submission or 5 separate ones. I guess he can try putting them together in one submission.
    My H (he's our tech guru) called YoungArts and spoke to someone. They fixed the problem within a couple hours. So, if anyone else has the same problem - just call. We were able to upload all 5 videos separately. S pressed submit, but hasn't received any sort of confirmation yet. I hate being the guinea pig class! Hope they get their act together soon.
  • EwanesEwanes Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    Were any of you able to review your submission before submitting? I don't see a pace to do this, but maybe because I am using Safari?

We uploaded one big file.

Also did you anyone get a confirmation?

Most grateful for any replies :) Thanks!
    I believe that H was able to upload the individual files and then "preview" before submitting. We used Silverlight. And we didn't get a confirmation until Oct 2 even though we submitted at the beginning of September. It said that everything had been uploaded successfully. Good luck!
    Thanks for the quick reply! Silverlight is on my computer, but it didn't pop up during the submission processing. I haven't submitted yet, so will go try to figure it out now. Wow, no confirmation until weeks later! That's a little nerve-wracking. I may just call although they will probably be getting lots of calls...sigh. Thanks!
    I have a kid who is submitting in two disciplines. For the first, she submitted in September and like megpmom did not hear for weeks. She submitted the second earlier this week and got a confirmation just one day later. I notice they (finally!) updated their website recently, so perhaps that was the reason for the backlog. And yes, Ewanes, you can view the videos after you upload them and before submitting them (at least this was the case for the theater category, but it's probably the same.) Good luck, all.
  • DannyosDannyos Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I need help please! I have attempted to submit the videos of my singing to the Young Arts website several times and have been unable to review them when I re-enter the site. I assume that this means I am submitting them incorrectly... For my most previous attempt, I converted all of the videos to MP4 format and the effects seems to be the same. Also, I just have no idea what Silverlight does, I downloaded it but don't know how to apply it to the submission process. I am desperate and need some feedback ASAP!
    Still struggling. Will post when I have success. Silverlight seems difficult for Mac. I cannot get anything to show up except for Silverlight preferences....will post when I figure it out...
    Ok, I think I got it submitted, but am not absolutely sure as I did not get a window saying "Your submission is complete" or "Thanks for your submission" or anything like that. Did anyone else get that? Or was it just the confirmation e-mail?

I know what you mean about the guinea pig class...feeling that right now. Can someone explain to me what Silverlight is? I have worked with online portals before for admissions, but they were set up quite differently and were something that opened on the computer, more like an app. Silverlight seems to work in background, more like Flash? Any techies out there who can clarify this for me? I cannot believe how many hours wehad to spend on this, after all the hours practicing and rehearsing. Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Ewanes, there is no "thanks for your submissions" screen (as one might expect!) I called them after my daughter submitted the first one and they verified that you do not get an acknowledgment immediately. Just a confirmation email in the weeks ahead. I was also concerned because my daughter got an honorable mention last year and was sent a postal letter urging her to re-apply and stating that honorable mentions would automatically be bumped up "to the next level". The instructions were to send a copy of the letter (i.e., the letter containing these exact words of instructions) and send it back to them, kind of a metaphysical conundrum... So, we xeroxed the letter that they sent us and she sent it back by mail, and also scanned it and emailed it. I called them and asked if they'd received it. They promised to call back, but didn't. I called weeks later, and they promised again, but still never heard from them. Well, I think we've all done the best that we can do.

Yes, Silverlight works in the background, like a plugin to your browser.
    Obviously the Young Arts people are going to have some bugs to work out before next year. I just feel bad for anyone waiting until the last minute to submit, since it is such a headache. I wish they had made this year and either/or year - either send a DVD or submit online. On the other hand (and this is terrible of me to think) maybe there will be fewer submissions this year...
    Glassharmonica,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am feeling bit better about it now that I know that there was no confirmation window. And the "metaphysical conundrum" of sending back the letter that YA sent you gave us all a good laugh, much needed at this point! Between reading this and the thread from 2010 or 2011 where the merit and honorable mention winner's names were posted on the website, then taken down and all the various ways students were notified, well I am getting a feel for how this may work. Also good to know about your experience calling. I actually did call with a couple of questions earlier and found it a little hard to get clear answers, but eventually felt confident that we were on the right track. What will be, will be...

Megpmom, I was just commenting to H about how difficult the whole application process is and I really feel that without a supportive family or teacher, it would be hard for many students to negotiate this submission process. And at that moment had the same thought as you re. number of submissions...not terrible, just logical.:)

Thanks once again for both your quick replies. I will sleep better tonight. I will post when I get that confirmation e-mail.
  • lastbirdlastbird Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    D submitted her application in early October and received a confirmation a day later.
    Does anyone know, is this also the first year they have opened up the competition to younger students? There may be more, not fewer, applications!
    Yes, it is the first year for younger students, so there will probably be quite a pile (virtual pile.)