Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

binxbinx Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
edited January 22 in Music Major
I don't know if this will work, but sometimes when I'm reading a post, I'm wishing I could remember more about the poster - parent or student? Performance? Music Ed? What instrument? I thought it might be nice if we could have a quick point of reference. Hopefully, you will all jump in and help keep this thread toward the front. I'll go first:

Parent (Mom), S is horn performance major at Juilliard, D is HS senior, violinist, looking to either minor or continue as avocation - not sure where.

Next?
Post edited by binx on

Replies to: Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

• BassDadBassDad Posts: 5,381Registered User Senior Member
    Great idea, binx. I would like to expand it to include any musically relevant information about the parents as well.

Parent (Dad), daughter is in second year of double degree program at Oberlin: performance on double bass and Math. Son is HS junior, plays guitar and sings but will probably not major in music (music tech may still be a possibility). Wife teaches flute at a local college and plays professionally in small ensembles on flutes of all types/sizes and on various early winds. In addition to my techie day job, I sing professionally and dabble at a serious amateur level on recorder, tin whistle and bodhran.
  • bsnbillybsnbilly Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    I'm a first-year bassoonist at Curtis.
  • -Allmusic--Allmusic- Posts: 6,350Registered User Senior Member
    Great idea, Binx!

I am parent (mother) of HS junior S percussionist, jazz drummer, classical pianist, planning for a performance degree. Daughter is a second year cellist.

I was a dabbler on the guitar and piano (thought I was pretty smokin' till I began raising what I guess is a "real pianist" :p). Hubby plays the kazoo, which just about rounds out this family.
  • deloardeloar Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    My D is a jr in hs as a vocal performance student in a visual and performing arts hs. She sings in the symphonic choir and madrigals at hs as well as a regional youth choir that tours internationally. She also is oboist in the metro youth symphony and a piano student.

She would like to major in pol sci and minor in vocal.

(I sing.)
  • ImperialZeppelinImperialZeppelin Posts: 377Registered User Member
    I was once the principal slide kazoo player in the prestigious Greater Hoboken/Secaucus/Bayonne Kazoo Symphony Orchestra... Other than that I love to listen to music and have also been banned from singing in public.

Kidding aside, DD is first-year clarinet performance major at Peabody. Besides the clarinets, she plays alto sax and flute.

DS is a junior in college, non-music major, but takes percussion and guitar lessons.

DW plays piano for fun.
  • musicmomicmusicmomic Posts: 266Registered User Junior Member
    Parent (Mom) of D who is a freshman at Lawrence pursuing a double major in vocal performance and string music education (violin). D also had 12 yrs of classical piano instruction.

S is a hs sophomore who is a talented classical pianist and singer but he is leaning toward biochemistry as a college major.

I can carry a tune but drift off pitch routinely and had 5 years of poor piano lessons many moons ago. H is a classical music enthusiast but plays no instruments and the kids beg him to stop if he sings... ;-)
  • ABlestMomABlestMom Posts: 598Registered User Member
    Parent(Mom) of D - high school mezzo-soprano who is knee deep in applications to both LAC's and conservatories - would love to major in both vocal performance and science.
  • spelmomspelmom Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    Parent (Mom) of S, a freshman jazz studies major--tenor saxophone-- at Manhattan School of Music. I sing in choral ensembles at a very amateur level (no solos!), but love it. Dad has no musical background, so we aren't quite sure where S got his talent from. We are parents of two older children, one S and one D, both out of college.
  • SusantmSusantm Posts: 2,188Registered User Senior Member
    Parent (Mom) of S, a sophomore trumpet performance major at Indiana University. Older son works in Japan, non-musical. I used to play the piano, but have barely touched it in years. H occasionally plays the guitar. Like spelmom, we don't know where S's talent in music came from.
  • ariamomariamom Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    This will be my first post! I've been lurking and have found incredibly valuable information from all of you. Plus I don't feel like an obsessed madwoman scouting programs at this early stage. My daughter is only a high school freshman, but she is a deeply gifted and talented soprano (coloratura) with aspirations to attend conservatory. She is taking lessons with an incredible coach so we're very lucky there. She is also a talented actor and is academically tops so we have many options. And loads of questions.

Personally, I sing (but pale in comparison!) and studied piano and bass throughout high school. I no longer play bass, but the piano comes in handy as I direct a children's choir at our church.
  • Irishmomof2Irishmomof2 Posts: 543Registered User Member
    I'm a parent of a HS senior, but my D is going into Science. However, I am currently in Community College, planning to transfer into a Music Major at one of the fine state universities. I'm an alto, and I'm planning to be a Music Education major. Right now, I'm mainly spending time boning up on my keyboard skills. I'm taking only one or two classes per semester, so it's still a couple of years before I have to worry about auditions.
  • Beethoven's 10thBeethoven's 10th Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    My son is a freshman jazz bassist at Oberlin (Double Degree). He also plays clarinet and alto sax. I am a classically trained pianist and make my living writing music for films and television. i used to conduct Broadway shows.
  • librarian377librarian377 Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    Parent (mom/librarian). S is freshman trombone performance major at Peabody and D is in the 9th grade. She has no plans for a career in music. H is Asst. Professor at Law School.
  • mamenyumamenyu Posts: 1,520Registered User Senior Member
    younger son a h.s. senior, looking mostly at double degree options on piano; older son was concertmaster at a UC, now grad student in music history at an Ivy. I played uke as a kid...
  • mezzomommezzomom Posts: 809Registered User Member
    Mom of a freshman music (vocal) major (BA) who is also currently pursuing approval for an individualized BA in Global Cultural Studies. She is not particularly driven to pursue performance (although she is the only freshman at her college cast in both operas being performed winter quarter); she sees her study of music as more about cross-cultural connections. Also played the horn for 7+ years; gave it up because of arthritis issues but informed me this week that she wants to try playing again.

I am an appreciator only; husband is self-taught on guitar and has an incredible ear...I think if there's a music gene, it came from him.