Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best City To Work In The Music Industry

AshlaeAshlae Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited June 2008 in Music Major
Hello, I have a strong interest in getting a degree in music business. I want to some day be an A&R at a record label. My favorite music genres are pop, rock and country. I live on the east coast with my family, I would like to move to New York OR Los Angeles. What city would be better for me?
Post edited by Ashlae on

Replies to: Best City To Work In The Music Industry

• aibarraibarr Posts: 4,248Registered User Senior Member
    DH, a music composition doctoral student and frequent instructor in the digital music and recording department at the community college, says that either would be fine for music business, and that really it just depends upon which city you prefer. (Censoring and paraphrasing his subsequent comments, he implies that he's partial to the cultural advantages that New York offers, and his personal preference is not for Los Angeles.)
  • violinmomviolinmom Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    I think that Nashville also has a very active recording industry, especially for country music.
  • jazzzmommjazzzmomm Posts: 545Registered User Member
    As I've posted before, a good friend of ours has a booming career right out of grad school in A & R in New York City. She pretty much attends concerts at cool venues for a living!