Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Need song suggestions for Grandmother's 90th birthday

MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 648Registered User Member
edited August 2008 in Music Major
My Polish Grandmother is turning 90 in July. She still drives and loves to argue politics (she's a NY Dem). It's going to be a great party.

My three kids (13, 16, and 19) all sing -- two mezzo-sopranos and and a tenor.

They are willing to perform, but we are having trouble finding a song. Any ideas?
Post edited by MaryTN on

Replies to: Need song suggestions for Grandmother's 90th birthday

• binxbinx Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    It sounds like a wonderful present! How nice that all three of your kids are willing to participate. Let us know how it goes.

I'd like to help, but I have no great ideas at the moment. My D sang at her grandparents 40th anniversary party - but she was only 5 at the time. She sang, "I Love You, A Bushel and a Peck" from Guys and Dolls. :)
  • saxsax Posts: 4,351Registered User Senior Member
    Google 1938 most popular songs etc and you get a list of some greatr songs of the times. I'd pick songs from her youth 1935-50. Great, great stuff. Whistle while you work was one of the most pop. songs in 1938 along w/ Andrews sisters and a great deal of big band stuff.
    Great suggestions. 2 mezzos and a tenor could have a lot of fun with Andrews sisters stuff!
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,164Registered User Senior Member
    Have you considered honoring her with a classic Polish folk song? When D's boyfriends dear nana reached 85 she learned a few Yiddish songs and it really brought tears (the good kind) to many of the folks from the old country.
    When did your grandmother immigrate? Might make a difference about what songs she knows/likes/remembers. She's the right age for WW II songs, but where was she during the war?

Try Gooling for Polish folks songs and/or polkas. Here's one:

Polish Music - ATPC
  • MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 648Registered User Member
    UPDATE: Thank you for all of your suggestions.

My grandmother looked pleased when I introduced the kids' song and stunned when they actually did a beautiful job of "You're the Top." It was very sweet.
    Congratulations. That's a fun song.