Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Suggestions of Colleges with Music Majors

collegebound123collegebound123 Posts: 419Registered User Member
edited December 2013 in Music Major
Which schools have good music departments (including any top ranked) along with good academics (so basically, not solely a fine arts school). I heard that St. Olaf is good.
Post edited by collegebound123 on

Replies to: Suggestions of Colleges with Music Majors

• zantedeschiazantedeschia Posts: 7,841Registered User Senior Member
    What about Johns Hopkins with their Peabody school, or Columbia with their connection with Julliard?
  • taxguytaxguy Posts: 6,561Registered User Senior Member
    If you don't want a stand alone conservatory, how about Univ of Cincinnati, Carnegie Mellon, and some of the LACs
  • CK61188CK61188 Posts: 215Registered User Junior Member
    illinois wesleyan. i actually don't know how good they are in comparison to other places, but i know a lot of people through their cello camp, and all the cellists i know want to go there. and i know a handful of other musicians besides cellists, and they all like it there.
  • collegebound123collegebound123 Posts: 419Registered User Member
    Sorry - I'll add on to my post: Specifically for voice, chorus, and this is an important one: studio music (producing songs in a studio)
  • reidmreidm Posts: 1,050Registered User Senior Member
    Strong music schools with degree programs and student opportunities in audio recording and/or music technology: Ithaca, NYU, University of Hartford, University of Miami, USC, University of Oregon, DePaul, University of Indiana, University of Michigan. St. Olaf is awesome for choral singing and good for voice, but not known for the recording side of things.

Based on your intended major and your music plans, you will need to check each school out to determine if recording courses and facilities would be available to you.
  • harpgirl27harpgirl27 Posts: 481Registered User Member
    Case Western and it's connection to Cleveland Institute of Music

Rice University and the Shepard school of music

Columbia and Julliard

NYU

U Indiana (for certain instruments...don't know about their voice program though)

JHU and Peabody

U Washington has a pretty good program

Curtis Institute of Music (if you want hardcore music conservatory!)

if you're interested in looking out of the country...
    U of Toronto and McGill University both have good music programs

noelle
  • carolyncarolyn Posts: 7,435Registered User Senior Member
    St. Olaf is wonderful. Also look into Oberlin (Ohio) and Lawrence U (Wisc). If you want a larger school consider USC or Rice. Other schools with great music programs include the University of Redlands (Calif), tBard (NY), the College of Wooster (ohio), Southwestern (Texas), Willamette (Oregon), University of the Pacific (Calif) as well as the schools already mentioned above.
  • harpgirl27harpgirl27 Posts: 481Registered User Member
    ROFL, I can't BELIEVE I forgot Oberlin....

Northwestern has a good music program as well...and U of Chicago does to, again for certain instruments.

I wanted to be a music major my whole life up until junior year. now I'm in science....go figure ;)
  • jenskate1jenskate1 Posts: 1,391Registered User Senior Member
    I have a friend at Eastman School of Music at University of Rochester, and he loves it there. I also know someone having an awesome time at Berklee College of Music in Boston. And of course, I have to give a plug for Shepard School at Rice: The people here are fantastically talented, and the chorale concerts are gorgeous - I don't know about the studio recording stuff here though, sorry.
  • karenindallaskarenindallas Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    My D is a soph vocal performance major at Rice. She was accepted at almost all the top vocal programs (IU, NE Conservatory etc.) and chose Rice. It is the greatest. Email me if you would like to get in touch with her for more info. Her boyfriend is a non-music major who enjoys choir and theater, and Rice affords him lots of opportunities to pursue his interests. Karen
  • taxguytaxguy Posts: 6,561Registered User Senior Member
    I forgot to mention Towson University here in Maryland. They have a music department, with voice training being an option.
  • shennieshennie Posts: 2,467Registered User Senior Member
    I would also recommend Eastman / Rochester, but they don't have recording, nor does Rice. I think that Peabody / Johns Hopkins does have recording. You also need to look at what kind of voice you are interested in. Many of the programs mentioned here are classical only. If you are looking to do modern you will need to look at programs carefully.
  • smsmomsmsmom Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    My D is a jr in HS and is interested in a Bachelor of Music with a major in music performance. We started the college search last spring and used much of what I learned from CC about music programs/auditions/music majors. I was just curious how all the musically talented sons and daughters were doing and, if music majors, what they thought of their college programs.
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    Although mine's a music major (at Smith), she is a composer, not a performance major (there are no performance majors at Smith.) She was looking for music within a liberal arts context.

I have no doubt, really none, that, given the quality of the faculty, the new Bard Conservatory is very quickly going to be the top of the heap, bar none, in that category (again, for joint BA/BM - there will still be the conservatories:

http://www.bard.edu/conservatory/overview/
  • karenindallaskarenindallas Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    My D is a vocal performance major at Rice (sophomore) and loves the program. She chose Rice over New England Conservatory, Oberlin, Cleveland Institute of Music (Case Western with a dual degree), Indiana and BU. Rice was the best fit for her with her strong academics and the strong music school at Rice. She was impressed with Indiana but thought it would be better for grad school. She did not audition well at Julliard and was not accepted. My D said that a lot of the music majors who have not had a strong theory background struggle in the program at Rice. I was impressed with Oberlin-the academics and the conservatory, but my D thought it was in the middle of a cornfield. Karen