Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT optional for music/voice?

pageturnerpageturner Posts: 776Registered User Member
edited November 2009 in Music Major
Hello, folks-

A student in one of my classes just got her SAT scores back, and they were pretty dismal (she says- she was crying at the time, so I didn't want to ask any details). Yes, she already took the ACT. No better.

She's looking for a vocal performance degree, but doesn't want to go to a conservatory for undergrad. I've looked through the "SAT optional" school list, but there are lots of schools I don't know about and I'm not familiar with the vocal departments.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for me to research? The basic criteria is this:
1) SAT optional
2) East coast(ish). She'll go a distance if the program is really excellent
3) Very strong vocal program and teacher, preferably with some opera study (this girl is really something special, vocally)
4) Part of a college/university (but she doesn't like Eastman)

Thank you for any help you can send my way!
Post edited by pageturner on

Replies to: SAT optional for music/voice?

• N8MaN8Ma Posts: 206College Rep Junior Member
    FYI for anyone wanting to help out and answer this thread, the list of test-optional schools can be found here:
    Test Optional List | FairTest

So I'd suggest perusing that site and if a program that's familiar to you is on that list come back and let the OP know.

The college where I work (Bard) offers a BA in voice, and a chance to work with some great people. It is in New York's Hudson Valley and is test-optional.
  • stradmomstradmom Posts: 3,615Registered User Senior Member
    Gettysburg and Susquehanna are SAT optional.
    Many conservatories are as well.

While some of the well known music schools in colleges require SATs, the necessary numbers may not be as high as your friend fears they are. If she has generally good grades and will audition strongly, the SATs may not harm her as much as she thinks.
  • sagitersagiter Posts: 358Registered User Member
    SUNY Potsdam, the home of the Crane School of Music just became test-optional as well.
  • sagitersagiter Posts: 358Registered User Member
    SUNY Potsdam, the home of the Crane School of Music just became test-optional as well. Some of the merit scholarships do require the test though.
  • pageturnerpageturner Posts: 776Registered User Member
    N8Ma, I took a quick look at the Bard website for her. Is the vocal program strong?

Re: Crane- Yes, thank you. I suggested Crane to her. Nazareth and Hartwick are on the list, too.

I don't want to miss a "hidden gem", just because I haven't heard of it before. And I know this won't be the last time I run into this situation with a student!
    Thanks. I'm going to look more at Gettysburg and Susquehanna.

She's rather avoid conservatories (but it may well become a "beggars can't be choosers" kind of thing).
    Oh, and I'm one of her high school teachers. Sorry, I wasn't clear.
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,114Registered User Senior Member
    Pageturner...I will jump in before N8ma has a chance to toot her own horn. Bard has an exceptionally strong and well regarded program.
    Be sure that this student discusses the programs with her current voice teacher as well.
    Musicamusica, thanks. I know her voice teacher pretty well, and we're both trying to put this list together. The girl is pretty devastated since this is her third SAT try, and auditions are right around the corner.
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,114Registered User Senior Member
    Well, my D was not much of a test taker and did not do well by any stretch of the imagination (even after three tries). It did not stop her applying to schools with certain SAT admissions requirements and I have to say, she got into a few schools that surprised all of us. One of them even gave her an academic scholarship even though she fell substantially below the implied "cut off". Sometimes a really good audition trumps the SAT. I'm not saying the SAT is not important. With music admissions there are many other variables and do not discount schools she may have considered before taking the test. If she is an exceptional talent, call the school.
    And re my D:For what it's worth, that was six years ago.

ALSO...she ended up graduating Summa Cum Laude and got into every academically rigorous grad school she applied to. (along with some substantial fellowships) So much for SATs.
  • stradmomstradmom Posts: 3,615Registered User Senior Member
    pageturner -

As a parent, I'd like to send you a virtual hug of appreciation for being so concerned about your student. That's the kind of concern every parent hopes teachers will show for our kids. Thank you.

Lawrence is SAT optional and has a fantastic conservatory in a college setting. But it's in Appleton, WI, which could be a distance for your student.
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager Posts: 1,826Registered User Senior Member
    My son is a freshman at Bard and having a fantastic experience. He is in the conservatory as well as the college - but I don't really think for voice the difference would be that significant. I would have recommended looking into the school if N8Ma hadn't first. (He's a guy, btw.) PM Proud Dad - his daughter is studying voice at Bard, undergraduate.
  • KeyofHKeyofH Posts: 232Registered User Junior Member
    I'm confused because I just looked at the Bard site and saw that its music school appears to have only a graduate level voice program. From the above postings, it appears that I'm not understanding something. Could someone set me straight? Does Bard have an undergraduate voice performance program? Here is the url I am looking at: Bard College Conservatory of Music | Faculty
  • violadadvioladad Posts: 6,641Registered User Senior Member
    To the best of my knowledge the vocal program at Bard is graduate level only. Perhaps N8Ma can confirm.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,991Registered User Senior Member
    Doesn't Bard have a BA option for undergrads?