Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Songwriting Colleges

rayna3rayna3 Posts: 2,530Registered User Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Music Major
Hi!

I was wondering if you know the names of colleges that have songwriting as a major (or popular music, such as USC). I know this is an extremely rare major, so there won't be that many schools.

These are the only colleges I have found so far:

Berklee College of Music
University of Southern California
Belmount University

Thanks!
Post edited by rayna3 on

Replies to: Songwriting Colleges

• kmccrindlekmccrindle Posts: 1,650Registered User Senior Member
    Not really that rare, just a possibly narrower focus than the aims of a music degree. Eg. many many many music students write contemporary songs ;) But they're building on a base of explicit training in their musicality, whether it's composition, voice performance, jazz guitar etc.

At any rate, here's one for sure that I suspect is exactly what you mean: NYU - Tisch Clive Davis Recording Arts program -- mostly contemporary for producer/artists -- believe it is a BFA or Bsc (can't remember now). Not part of the music school. Admission is by portfolio of songs, admit rate is about 10%.

Other programs where you're likely to write/produce contemporary music and where they require portfolios of your contemporary work would include Indiana SOM (Jacobs) Recording Arts Bsc degree and UMich SOM Performing Arts Technology (which includes a lot of electronic composition and can be a BFA or BMUS).

There are actually a lot of different kinds of programs wherein the majority of the students write and record contemporary music but it is really all over the map.
    Hope this gives you somewhere to start.
  • rayna3rayna3 Posts: 2,530Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you so much, kmccrinle!

That's great to know! :D I'll be sure to look at the colleges you mentioned.

Thanks again!
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Posts: 3,544Registered User Senior Member
    To Rayna,

The USC Popular Music Major is in the Thornton School of Music.

In an earlier post by the title "USC Popular Music" on 6/11/2010 by jacollege is a long reply by radad. His son is in the program at Thornton. Radad wrote a detailed explanation of his son's training, contacts and experiences. I think you would find it helpful.
  • MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 648Registered User Member
    Belmont (no 'u') has several.

In the School of Music -- BM degree

Music Composition
    Commercial Music -- Composition and Arranging Emphasis
    Commercial Music -- Song Writing Emphasis

In the Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business -- BA and BS degrees

Songwriting major
    Bachelor of Science (BS) and Bachelor of Arts (BA)

They all have different requirements, of course.
    Thank you!!! :)

This helps a LOT! :D
  • NJgirl2016NJgirl2016 Posts: 94User Awaiting Email Confirmation New Member
    This doesn't add much since you already noted it on your list, but back in 7th grade I did a "future career" research report on songwriting and wrote a LOT about Berklee's songwriting major. :)

Have you looked at any arts/music-related schools that have a self-designed or "build your own" major program? You could always create a songwriting major for yourself at a school that allows students to create their own major. You do lose the benefit of having professors trained in the songwriting field to actually instruct you, but with a more creative major like songwriting it might actually work out pretty well.
    I was thinking of doing some sort of "performing arts" build your own major with acting/dancing/guitar/piano. I need to do some research on building my own major... it'd be really hard, but kinda exciting.

Thanks~
    I'm considering that, since I have to many interest :P
  • MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 648Registered User Member
    The students in the Honors program at Belmont can design their own major. There are 54 honors students in the freshmen class (which is 1000-1200?). I don't know how many apply for it.
    Really? that's great!

Thanks for the info!