Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Double Major

TreyH03TreyH03 Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Musical Theater Major
I was wondering if u could tell me some BA or BFA Theater or musical theatre programs that would allow me to double major?.....I have ap credit so i probably won't have to take any math or general science class.

Sent from my LG-E739 using CC
Post edited by TreyH03 on

Replies to: Double Major

• Christie2Christie2 Posts: 380Registered User Member
    Trey, I see you have posted this question before about NYU. If you take some time and do a search you will find that 'double majoring" has been discussed in many threads. One you might start with that has a list of colleges is:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/547240-musical-theatre-minor-double-major.html?highlight=double+major

Sorry, I don't know how to make the address short, but perhaps it will automatically do it when posting!
  • MomCaresMomCares Posts: 2,731Registered User Senior Member
    If you have very strong stats and want academic challenge plus great theatre training I'd investigate Northwestern University. Many kids there double major in 4 years.
  • KatMTKatMT Posts: 3,550College Rep Senior Member
    NYU BFA
    American BA
    JMU BA

I am sure there others... but the above are three schools where I know students who have completed double majors with MT within 4 to 4.5 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC
  • do-what-u-luvdo-what-u-luv Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Ohio Northern BFA
    University of Michigan BFA
    We know lots of UMich BFAs but don't know of any who completed a double major in 4 years (which of course doesn't mean they don't exitst). There was one guy who was their poster child for doubling in engineering, but I think I heard he dropped engineering.

Hopefully someone there can let us know if anyone has completed a double major there, and if so did it require a 5th year?
  • MichaelNKatMichaelNKat Posts: 2,794Registered User Senior Member
    Muhlenberg BA
  • kksmom5kksmom5 Posts: 511Registered User Member
    Check with Indiana University . . . we know someone who was a VP major + costuming + tech. Not sure if he was technically a double or triple major with the VP being one and costuming and tech being under design and technology.
  • do-what-u-luvdo-what-u-luv Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Having the option to double major and completing it in 4 years are 2 different things...

TREYH03 - are you more set on double majoring or getting out in 4 years? Or only looking for schools where you can do both?
  • KatMTKatMT Posts: 3,550College Rep Senior Member
    Very true... even at JMU, where I teach it is more common for MTs who are double majoring to take 4.5 to 5 years, particularly if the second major is also credit intensive, and/or the student wants to take suggested additional coursework in the MT major.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC
  • MTTwinsinCAMTTwinsinCA Posts: 455Registered User Member
    My son at Rider MT entered with a lot of AP credits and placed out of some requirements. He just added double major in arts administration (possible b/c some courses count towards both), but it will be a tight squeeze.
  • TreyH03TreyH03 Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    I plan on getting out in 4 years but if 4.5 to 5 is possible that's perfectly fine with me....cause its 2 majors

Sent from my LG-E739 using CC
  • Kirby59Kirby59 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Ohio Northern University
    For many students, a 5th year means an extra $60,000 in costs (I also think most undergrad financial aid only covers 4 years) PLUS the opportunity costs of not working for another full year, so it can be very significant to complete both degrees in 4 years.