Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

Replies to: Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

• SU88BFASU88BFA Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    Congrats cryannbenn. My S was also accepted....he still hasn't made his final decision, but will very soon. RCS is very much in the running for him.
  • MTmom2015MTmom2015 Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
    Out of curiosity, how is RCS on price? Comparable? Financial Aid? Scholarship opportunities?
  • SU88BFASU88BFA Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    Yes-- it's comparable to many US schools. I posted some RCS financial info on the thread about that. One thing to note about RCS is that a BA program is only 3 years, not 4. (BFA's are not given out in the UK.) My son received a small scholarship-- about 20% of tuition. The $$ unknowns-- at this point for us-- are airfare, visa fees, banking transfer fees and other things that I'm sure are out there. He's choosing between 3 schools, and cost-wise, RCS falls in the middle.
  • frazzled35frazzled35 Posts: 165Registered User Junior Member
    Congrats @crysannbenn! Although we haven't officially posted the "Final Decision", it looks like my D will be joining you there. Very happy it worked out for you!
  • GSOMTMomGSOMTMom Posts: 945Registered User Member
  • frazzled35frazzled35 Posts: 165Registered User Junior Member
    @GSOTMom, exciting and scary :\">
    We are really just waiting on her father to officially "pull the trigger". He has said "yes", but there are a few financial things he is checking on. Once he gives me the final go ahead, we will make it official-and I will inform the other schools.
  • entertainersmomentertainersmom Posts: 949Registered User Member
    Congratulations frazzled!!
  • zonolozonolo Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    The opportunity to study in the UK is amazing. We , however, found the budget slipping away as the USD weakened against the Pound Sterling. When we made the decision for our son to attend a BA program in MT in London the dollar was hovering as low as $1.48 and it is now $1.68 (the highest in five years). This made a difference of well over $3,000 over the past nine months. We underestimated the expense of London in general as well but the fact that the program is three years over four years is certainly a huge consideration. Glasgow's cost of living is more reasonable. Airfare home is a challenge as well as one cannot be quite so flexible with the dates that the students need to fly back and forth. The student Visa does allow them to work in the UK but my son had no time to do that but that is a nice option if it can be worked out. Best of luck to all going...it is an incredible opportunity.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 9,268Registered User Senior Member
    I agree that the opportunity to study in the UK is amazing but also that the costs can be higher than most expect. The other issues that I've cautioned others against, and this is in no way meant to discourage but simply to inform, are the differences in school year schedule dates, which can affect summer work opportunities on this side of the Atlantic (have the schools there changed to be more in tune with N.A. dates? I know that was discussed by several schools at one point); the inability, related to that, to get summer work (and make those valuable contacts) in N.A.; the inability to remain in the UK after graduation to work, unless you have particular levels of immigration status; a student visa won't be enough. And, the obvious issues of travel, both the expense and the likely reduction in frequency, both for the student coming home and the family's ability to visit, see their shows, etc. All things to consider.
  • connectionsconnections Posts: 874Registered User Member
    edited April 12
    zonolo, could you share what costs in London were higher than you expected? My S has been accepted to LAMDA and is seriously considering it. He was also accepted to RCS and Royal Welsh. We are looking at budgets. Thanks. We have an idea about Glasgow as he went to RCS this past summer for 4 weeks.

We aren't planning on flying him home frequently - once a year. He'll have to stay with friends during break. I don't care about the shows. I mean, it would be lovely to see him in a show, but that's not a deal breaker for me. My D goes to Northwestern and I can't afford to see her shows either. I'd appreciate any insight into budgeting you've had!
    Post edited by connections on
  • zonolozonolo Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    The biggest underestimation was around the weakening dollar vs pound sterling...it literally created a $3,000 plus difference in what we estimated. I am very familiar with the cost of London and thought we had figured everything out. General food costs were high when you calculate in things like bottled water. He did not go to shows or eat out often but a meal out cost in pounds what it would in dollars in the US. A trip to the pharmacy for incidentals was pricey. A cup of coffee was almost double what it would be here. One can get a student Oyster card for transport but it stll adds up. He
    Sometimes took Four busses a day to his classes and at £ 1.40 a trip....it sure added up. We were very lucky in accommodation as he lived at the International Students House which was very affordable. He did, however, have to have 3 roomates to make it affordable. He only came home for Christmas and for the summmer. It is a fantastic city and there is so much to see and do but it is truly one of the most expensive cities in the world. We figured for that but not for the currency fluctuations.
    Zonolo, thanks for this. This is all very good information to have. The $3000 is definitely quite a bit. What does your son think about his experience?
  • dramamom0804dramamom0804 Posts: 787Registered User Member
    It has been 22 years, but I can second zonolos point about the cost of items in London. I spent a semester there in college and the exchange rate was bad. But items cost about the same amount of pounds as dollars. So if a cup of coffee was a dollar in the US, it was a pound in London, but I had to use 2 dollars to get that pound. This basically doubled the cost of everything I bought.
    However, you can get awesome prices for shows!! I saw Phantom of the opera in the 6th row for 5 pounds.
    Let's keep our priorities straight. :D
    For what it's worth, I went to school for a year at University of London, Queen Mary College. This was 30 years ago (boy, does that date me!) At the time, the exchange rate was about the same as now. I actually didn't find London more expensive but I was married and lived on a frugal budget, although honestly it was no different from what the vast majority of my British friends lived on; actually I was more 'rich' in that many of my friends couldn't afford phones in their homes. I didn't ever go out to eat--the most I got was fish and chips (still served in newspaper cones then) or for a treat, I got Indian. I didn't have coffee out; I don't think they served coffee out actually! I did nearly all my shopping at the market, buying fruits, veggies, cheese, and my shopping budget was about the same as it was in the US.

But I don't know how it would be as a student now and how much budgeting is required; that's why I want to hear from others' experiences. I appreciate zonolo's sharing of her son's experience.

I definitely agree about shows! I saw Die Fledermaus at Covent Garden for 5.50 pounds; this was with then-opera stars Kiri Te Kanawa and Hermann Prey. It was a wonderful evening!