Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

13»

Replies to: Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

• zonolozonolo Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    I want to write this carefully so not to deter any prospective UK student based on our personal experience. We also took a leap of faith for a program that was extremely rigorous training wise and very focused which was what my son felt he wanted and needed. We researched everything carefully and everything fell into place including acceptance to his first choice school. London was great and he loved the experience. He realized, however, that the 8 to 10 hour days of straight training without the shows and regular performance opportunities made him feel dispassionate and regimented. He had a 30 to 45 minute commute each way and battled fatigue and sickness the first several months which did not help. We made the difficult decision that he will not return in the fall and will view this year as a gap year with some fantastic training and experiences. He learned alot about himself and what he wants. The financial impact was very challenging and it made no sense to push through the program if it was not what he wanted. He hopes to return to the UK down the line for an MA program but wants a more traditional college experience despite the fact that a year ago he couldn't have been further from that. It is a bittersweet subject for me and it has been a difficult conclusion to reach. I have no doubt that others will do just fine in their prospective programs. The experience was tremendous and positive despite making the ultimate decision to return to the US and embark on a more traditional path....same goals, different path.
  • connectionsconnections Posts: 872Registered User Member
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him despite all your planning and tremendous help, but I think the way you're framing it is marvelous. You're right, it is a learning and growth experience. *Many* students - not just those in the UK - leave their programs for a wide variety of reasons. My oldest son did. It was scary and confusing and disappointing at the time, but in retrospect, for him, it was absolutely the right thing to do. This is why people transfer, this is why leaves of absences exist. This gap year will help him figure out what he wants and you're right, he will be that much more mature. Best of luck in his journey.
  • frazzled35frazzled35 Posts: 165Registered User Junior Member
    I second what connections said...part of the growing experience as a young person and an artist will lead to some changes. Sometimes those can be a little painful and expensive. I certainly worry that the same thing could happen to my D. Of course, she insists this is what she wants. As for the expense-I am scared to death we are not going to budget correctly. * Time for deep breathing exercises *
  • connectionsconnections Posts: 872Registered User Member
    frazzled35, I think I mentioned my S studied at RCS last summer for four weeks. He loved it. I was very worried beforehand but he easily managed and extra costs were not high. THere is a Sainsbury's (a supermarket chain) right there and he picked up food to cook there. If you want, you can pm me for a cost estimate. Of course, it depends on how frugal your daughter is. If you want to keep your budget down, you can't eat out a lot or buy a lot of packaged foods. In general though, Glasgow is not nearly as expensive as London. YOu won't need public transportation. They will put you up in Liberty Houses at least the first year and this is only a 10 minute walk to the school. It has nice kitchen supplies. Bear in mind *all* the students cook and budget on their own and also many students will not be wealthy, so many will be budgeting. She won't be on her own that way. The city has some very nice places to visit and explore, although it does have its 'bad' areas (like nearly all American cities).
  • zonolozonolo Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    Connections is correct, Glasgow is much more reasonable than London and alot of the kids live at the location (Liberty House)...at least as first year and not having to commute all over the city for classes is a big plus. Frazzles35 you will be able to establish a budget and stick to it and I cannot see the dollar/pound fluctuating like it did in the past 12 months...in fact, it could begin to work in your favor in the future. The kids get very good at shopping and making their meals and my son became quite a good cook in the process. The kids will chip in for meals and cook together as well. My son's friends were all on budgets as well so they made it work. Our issues on cost came more from currency fluctuations and things we didn't budget in, haircuts, extra transportation, pharmacy supplies but Glasgow is so much more reasonable a city expense wise. We also always packed him up with food items whenever anyone was going back and forth...giant jars of peanut butter, snack items, breakfast bars. I am sure your daughter will have an incredible experience and I believe fully (despite our experience) that it is such an amazing opportunity to take advantage of. Our son was able to transfer to a school that he had been accepted into last year in the MT and dance departments who re-accepted him without having to audition again so he will be going there. It will give him the more traditional focus with lots and lots of opportunities for performance between the Dance Company and the theater stuff...so all worked out in the end. He has learned a lot as much as it was a "painful and expensive" year for us and I know he plans to audition for Masters programs down the line in the UK. For now, I will live vicariously through your kids as they embark on this fabulous adventure.
  • SU88BFASU88BFA Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for your posts, Zonolo-- They are very informative! . My son has also been accepted to RCS's MT program, along with frazzled35's D. My son hasn't made his final decision yet, but RCS is very much in the running. I'm the nervous mom, knowing I'll worry about him "over there" but I can't help but think of how (potentially!) amazing his experience could be there. During this whole audition process and campus visits, he's gravitated more towards the urban-environment schools. We live in very boring suburbia, so I think RCS and Glasgow will be good for him, in many ways.
13»