Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

African-American women monologues

kaylagurlkaylagurl Posts: 205Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2006 in Musical Theater Major
Hey you guys im at CMU summer program...and im LOVING it!!!...5 people have already left though...:-(...

but umm..i was wondering if anybody knew of some good monologues for black females..i not necessarily african-americn since im from barbados, but i need to kind of find something that goes with my accent and i was wonderign if anybody had any ideas?....thank you guys...im going to try and go to the library now and look...but if anybody knows anything, that would be great!
byeee
thanks again
Kayla
Post edited by kaylagurl on

Replies to: African-American women monologues

• alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 8,966Registered User Senior Member
    kayla, I don't recommend specific monologues for kids I don't know but I can point you in the direction of the plays of the wonderful August Wilson. He wrote a fabulous cycle of ten plays, one for each decade of the 20th century, about the African American experience.

A couple of others you might want to look at would be Lorraine Hansberry and Trey Anthony.
  • NotMamaRoseNotMamaRose Posts: 4,090Registered User Senior Member
    Glad to hear from you, Kaylagirl, and congrats on your arrival at CMU. This is off the topic you posted, by why have five people already left? That seems like a lot ...
  • mtmommymtmommy Posts: 524Registered User Member
    Kaylagurl, if you are wanting something more from your heritage, instead of African-American, try the plays of Derek Walcott.
  • keepingcalmkeepingcalm Posts: 520Registered User Member
    Raisin in the Sun has a part for a late teen AA girl that I know has at least two scenes in which she has a monologue. But I have not looked at them in terms of a stand alone monologue since I only know them from seeing the play.

Lynn Nottage, who is a contemporary is writing plays with primarly AA females in them, so you might look at those. I haven't read or seen the plays so I can't say anything more specific.
  • doctorjohndoctorjohn Posts: 583Registered User Member
    Two more:

The Colored Museum by George C. Wolfe has some wonderfully funny stuff,

For colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow was enuf by Ntozake Shange contains beautiful poems.

Also, look at the plays of Kia Corthron. Here's a brief bio:

http://www.playsforyoungaudiences.org/playwrights/corthron_kia.html

The play attached to this bio, Snapshot Silhouette, is not one I know, but looks very promising in terms of material for young actors.

Good hunting!
  • WallyWorldWallyWorld Posts: 255- Junior Member
    I would second August Wilson. Piano Lesson would be my favorite. Lots of depth to the characters and places to make acting choices. Raisin in the sun is popular now, dont know if thats good or bad.
  • keepingcalmkeepingcalm Posts: 520Registered User Member
    Piano lesson parts tend to be older or very young. My D did an equity production of this as Maretha at 11 (almost 12, which is a line from the play). The two adult women parts play mid for one and at least late 20's for the other, so I am not sure they would be considered age appropriate. The younger women's part is for a hocker/loose women. For young men I think the younger brother and the his friend might work. Great play- very intense. D probably learned more about acting during the run of the play than she has in all her acting classes.
  • WallyWorldWallyWorld Posts: 255- Junior Member
    Keepingcalm; Your right but its just such a great play with some great scenes. Probably best to defer to DR. John.

Kaylagurl; Why have 5 people left the CMU summer program?
  • mtmommymtmommy Posts: 524Registered User Member
    These African American selections sound good, but, Kaylagurl, you asked for something that goes with your accent. That's why I suggested Derek Walcott, as he has a variety of West Indian plays which could be read for a monologue.