Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Audition songs for a broad vocal range?

ElfwyneElfwyne Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited July 2008 in Musical Theater Major
I have a broad vocal range and can do any part from alto to soprano. What songs can I sing that can show my vocal range?

I don't want overdone songs like Phantom of The Opera, Les Miz, Wicked, etc. But nothing too obscure that the pianist won't know what it is, either.
Post edited by Elfwyne on

Replies to: Audition songs for a broad vocal range?

• music_darling08music_darling08 Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    At most (if not all) colleges, you will be asked to sing two songs, so you can feature your soprano range in one and your alto range in the other. As for the pianists, I wouldn't worry too much about the obscurity of the piece; they will more than likely be very accomplished sight-readers and will be able to play the cut you give them :)
  • snoggiesnoggie Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    My D had a teacher with a very reputable School of Music in one of the above listed schools completely butcher one song. It really shook my daughter up.

A similar thing happened at another audition, but not as badly; My D handled that well. After the first time she figured out what to do if that happened. Usually it doesn't happen, but they are people also who get tired...

Now for any audition, she keeps away from more complicated music...
  • JIJaneJIJane Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    Even though you may have a big range, you will still have a specific vocal tone, which will determine what voice type you are - not just your range determines that. I am a mezzo belter but can also easily hit top Fs above top c and sing Phantom, etc. Still, my vocal tone makes me a mezzo. I suggest you find out your voice type before making song choices. True altos are rare and if you are a top sop (as in can hit notes above a top C no problem) then you are most probably not an alto. What is your exact range including belt?