Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Strawhat Auditions

D&G'sMomD&G'sMom Posts: 19Registered User New Member
edited March 2009 in Musical Theater Major
Any advice for my D who is going to her first Strawhat Auditions in NY?
Post edited by D&G'sMom on

Replies to: Strawhat Auditions

• BRbwayBRbway Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    Make sure she has a complete package! This means that she's researched the seasons of the theatres that will be attending, has picked the ones she would be right for and has chosen her songs/ and or monlogue accordingly.
    We had a masterclass with the head of casting for Strawhats last week and she said having a good look combined with good song and monologue choice is the key.

Good luck to her
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,073Registered User, ! Senior Member
    I don't know how anyone would pick the theaters they are right for. When you audition, you audition for ALL of the theaters at one time. I think having extra songs in your book would be handy at a callback for an individual theater. But otherwise, I don't see how you can gear your material to a certain theater's season when you are auditioning for multiple theaters at one time. Show your strengths.
  • onstageonstage Posts: 1,249Registered User Senior Member
    Oddly enough, what you will find is that many theaters have a similar season -- certain shows seem to be popular in different years. When my D auditioned several years ago, it happened that a lot of theaters were including Footloose in their season. She was interested in doing that show -- so she focused on that and chose a similar style of song and corresponding monologue. Sure enough, she was hired by a theater that was doing Footloose, among other shows.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 9,268Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with Susan. A season of any of these theatres is likely to include different types of shows so trying to focus one one particular show or theatre is no guarantee of success. Even if several theatres happen to have a particular show in common, as onstage mentions, unless you have a particular song in your book that you think might showcase your talents to the fullest extent, and that might be a good choice if you were auditioning for that show alone, I wouldn't worry too much about matching your song choice to what shows are being done. If several theatres are doing the same show, it isn't really a surprise if one happens to be hired by one of those theatres in that circumstance.

I think it's always a good idea to be informed about the various theatres, to the extent that you can, prior to the auditions, so I'm not advocating ignoring that component of preparation. I do, however, think that displaying your strengths should be the focus in choosing your audition material. The many kids we know who have gotten summer work through Strawhats have followed that path.
  • actressmomactressmom Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    What does strawhats expect at the call-backs and if you are not called back does that mean you will not be hired?
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,073Registered User, ! Senior Member
    The callbacks are with individual theaters and so each one handles it in their own way. Some may have you sing the songs again or other songs or ask you to sing a song they give you to sing or read sides for a show, etc.

If you do not get any callbacks, you most likely won't be hired. The callbacks are per theater. The theaters who call you back are the ones considering you and the others are not.
    alwaysamom -- Of course singers should focus on their strengths for any audition. What I was trying to say (apparently not very clearly!) is that if an MT performer has an adequate repertoire book, he/she should be able to choose something they already know that would be appropriate for the shows in question. Any material in their rep book should, of course, be something that showcases their talent. For example, if a girl has a lovely, classic legit voice, she should showcase that rather than try to force her voice into a pop sound. As it happens, my D is a mezzo belter, so she already had appropriate material for a show like Footloose.
  • NotMamaRoseNotMamaRose Posts: 4,090Registered User Senior Member
    At Strawhats (before callbacks), performers only get 90 seconds to do a song *and* a monologue in front of reps from various theaters, all of whom have their summer season already set. It would be nearly impossible, I would think, to choose what to present in that 90 second performance based on what those seasons are. I think the only thing a performer can do is pick what shows him or her off the best.

Now, for callbacks, I guess someone could go through their whole book and every attending theater's season and select music "just in case" that person gets a callback at that particular theater.
    I think we are all saying basically the same thing to the OP: pick something that shows off your D's best skills for your Strawhat audition. She should also choose something from her repertoire that she is totally comfortable with, even under the stressful Strawhat conditions. Don't pick this time to try out new material.
    And I still feel that BRbway had a good point in saying to pick the seasons she would be right for, and choose songs/monologues accordingly. Frankly, that's what performers should do for every audition. It's really not that different at Strawhats -- although it does require a bit more research!

Here's an example: one of the theaters at Strawhats this year has chosen 4 very similar shows: HS Musical, Rent, Hairspray, and All Shook Up. If you would prefer to work there rather than at theaters featuring more classic shows, your song choices are pretty obvious -- you won't be singing "My White Knight" from Music Man.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 9,268Registered User Senior Member
    I understand your point, onstage, but if someone focussed on just that one theatre and those four shows, they are likely to miss opportunities at many other theatres who will be there. I think that's the risk when you narrow your focus too much. Actually, for an actual audition for either of RENT or All Shook Up, you wouldn't be singing musical theatre songs anyway, you'd need a rock/pop song. What theatre is that, by the way? Weston? Bucks County? I know that now that the rights have finally been made available to North American amateur and community theatres, RENT seems to be on everyone's list this summer, which is kind of scary. :)
    Yes, but just because you like a certain theater's line-up, it doesn't mean your audition will be ignored by other theaters (if you choose strong material.) Regarding those particular shows, you certainly would choose a pop or rock song. Since many other theaters are doing some of the same shows, a pop song would be appropriate for them too. Anyway, that was just an example of a theater that chose many shows of the same type. (It's Forestburgh Playhouse, by the way. And they also chose Les Mis and Showboat -- so go figure! A singer could also choose legit material for that particular theater.)

Anyway, my point is, if you have a style that you do really well, there's nothing wrong with focusing on that particular type of show. It's impossible to please everyone -- so why not present them with what you do best? As a director, I hate to see a performer trying to be something they're not. If you're a great legit singer, focus on that; if you're better at pop/rock, do that.
  • BRbwayBRbway Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    I was just relaying what the head of Strawhats said is the best way to prepare! She also said those doing two songs, should only be doing that if the person has 2 completely different sounds (i.e. super legit and pop/ rock belt). But you have to know what you're right for. Straight from the horse's mouth. :)
  • NotMamaRoseNotMamaRose Posts: 4,090Registered User Senior Member
    Two songs? My D told me that on the Strawhats Web site, under something like FAQ, it says something like "What about doing two songs in my 90 seconds instead of a song and a monologue?" and the answer was DO NOT DO THAT! She said that the answer also said that they can tell from one song if they want to hear more at a callback or not, and they want to hear a monologue, too.

Of course, I didn't see this for myself, so if you are registered for an audition, check the Web site for do's and don'ts.
  • KatMTKatMT Posts: 3,433College Rep Senior Member
    A second song would not replace the monologue it would be in addition. I have some students who will do 8 bars of a legit ballad, a short monologue and a 16 bars of belty uptempo in the 90 second time frame. At SETC they often will "bookend" the monologue with the songs. At Strawhat they want you to sing first and do the monologue second, so there they will sing the selections back to back and then do their monologue. As the poster above mentioned, only those who have two distinct sounds do this.