Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

PSAT score to become National Merit Finalist?

jhupostjhupost Posts: 81. Junior Member
edited September 2011 in National Merit Scholarships
I am wondering what I have to make on the PSAT to become a National Merit Finalist. I truly expect to get a good score, but what score should I be looking for? I live in Georgia, if that information helps at all. Also, what other factors determine if a person becomes a National Merit Finalist other than their PSAT score? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by jhupost on

Replies to: PSAT score to become National Merit Finalist?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,018Registered User Senior Member
    PSAT score determines NMSF status...announced in the fall.

For Georgia students, the score need is 215 plus or minus a few points (since it can change each year).

In the fall, NMSF's are given a packet to complete. If you have a good SAT score (about over 1700), good GPA (no D's and maybe one C), are not a discipline problem at school, then you'll probably become a NMF. You have to send your SAT score to NMCorp. So take the SAT and send the score ... code 0085
  • plumazulplumazul Posts: 1,567Registered User Senior Member
    ^ "If you have a good SAT score (about over 1700)"

I think you should do a little better than that. How about 2000? Wasn't the cutoff this year about 1960?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,018Registered User Senior Member
    :)

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that someone "aim" for a 1700. I was just saying that usually over a 1700 is safe. That said, if someone has a 1700, they should test again even if only to improve college admission chances. :)
  • jkiwmomjkiwmom Posts: 1,353Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, I thought the same thing. Sounds way too low. But now I see what you were saying. Since the PSAT coorelates to the projected SAT scores (adding a zero), I would say the OP needs to aim for closer to a 200 on PSAT's and so a 2000 on the SAT's. Not sure where that state by state link is with seminfinalist cutoffs, but search for it here on CC (it's' here somewhere..).

Just saw that you mom2collegekids looked it up. So aim for a 215 at least, and make sure SAT scores support it.
  • happygirl123happygirl123 Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    Everyone is saying 215 for the PSAT :S What is that score equivalent to the SAT. I can make around 1900 for the SAT a couple months. It should increase...or else all my hard work studying will be wasted. But is that enough? What is the max for the PSAT? Ahh so confused!!
  • Wildcatfan1995Wildcatfan1995 Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    I took the SAT a couple of months after the PSAT. I got a 180 on PSAT and 1900 on SAT. I've also seen that generally people score better on SAT than PSAT ( no real statistics, but a thread where literally 80% did better on SAT (no extremely reliable either, sorry))