Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Class of 2014 NMSF Qualifying scores***

Replies to: ***Class of 2014 NMSF Qualifying scores***

• rebel11rebel11 - Posts: 519 Member
    Thx, She took SAT in Oct and got a 2190. She will take it again in the spring. She will probably attend NJ Governor's school program this summer.
  • timu1996timu1996 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    217 in California :(...is there any hope?
  • mathmomvtmathmomvt Registered User Posts: 4,234 Senior Member
    timu, unfortunately, I would say there's virtually no chance that a 217 will make it in California. But with such a great score, your SAT/ACT are likely to be great, and you should have lots of other nice opportunities.
  • timu1996timu1996 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Thanks mathmomvt! :)
  • kooshbagkooshbag Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Chances for a 220 in NJ?
    kooshbag, you have a chance, but it's certainly nothing you can count on. You're in for a long bout of suspense waiting for the notification next September. It's unlikely that anything that we learn between now and then will be enough to give you a good idea whether you'll make it or not; you're really on the cusp. In the meantime, take the SAT/ACT and start looking for additional merit aid options that don't rely on NMF. good luck!
    Ahh that's what I figured, thanks!
    I wish i got 1 more question right so I wouldn't have to wait so long to know
    I know the waiting is a killer, sorry kooshbag. My older son was stuck in the waiting game a few years back (he did make it in the end, but ended up taking a non-NMF opportunity in the end anyhow).
    Ohh that gives me hope!
    Btw just wondering, where did he end up?
    My son is at Cornell. They don't give merit aid but are quite generous with their need-based aid. He could have gone loan-free to a couple of schools that offered him higher merit aid but with the loans, Cornell ended up being doable for us. RPI also made him a strong merit scholarship offer that wasn't based on national merit. His ACT was stronger than his SAT/PSAT.

At this point, forget about NM for the next 8 months, work on your grades, your SAT/ACT, doing whatever it is you do for fun, and figuring out what you might want to do with your life :)
  • AtypicalAsianAtypicalAsian Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    220 in California. What's your take on that?

Sent from my HTC One X using CC
    AtypicalAsian, you're in the long wait camp. You have a chance, but nothing you can bank on. I'll reiterate the advice I gave to kooshbag who is in a similar situation:
    At this point, forget about NM for the next 8 months, work on your grades, your SAT/ACT, doing whatever it is you do for fun, and figuring out what you might want to do with your life :)
  • celesterobertscelesteroberts Registered User Posts: 2,332 Senior Member
    My D had a borderline score last year. It's good not to obsess about it if you can keep it under control, but we didn't forget about it either. Senior year is SO busy. We worked out a kind of mental double road where one part of the mind is planning what to do if the NMSF happens and the other plans for the other possibility. It is good to have researched the possible financial safeties and figured out which ones are places you would happily attend, visiting some if possible. That list will be somewhat different for NMFs than for kids who have good stats otherwise but not NMF status. So when the word came that she made it, we didn't have to start from scratch on that. Also, it seems from reading threads on the topic that not all schools are good at following up on their end of NMSF business, or even notifying students of their status. If you are at a school which produces few NMSFs, the counselors may not know what it is or what they need to do, and you need to be ready to give them a nudge if necessary.
    All true Celeste and good advice. It's definitely worth knowing about what opportunities you might be interested in pursuing if you do make NMSF, and we did indeed spend time looking into it for my class of '11 kid with a borderline score. So don't totally forget about it, but try not to obsess if you're borderline, and definitely work on a plan B.
  • kjlogakjloga Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    207 in Kentucky :( I realize I probably wont make the cutoff and I'm kicking myself! However I havr about an ounce of hope because for some reason I recieved a tasp brochure? Im not even sure thay indicative of anything but im just looking for something to restore my national merit hopes
This discussion has been closed.