Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT/PSAT differences

living0a0lieliving0a0lie Posts: 28Registered User New Member
edited February 2013 in National Merit Scholarships
My PSAT was a 228, but my SAT is only a 2100 (770 cr 720 w-stupid essay brought me down- 610 mth) Should I just take it again and send the next score to NMSC? Will colleges see that I got an 8 on the essay?!
Post edited by living0a0lie on

Replies to: SAT/PSAT differences

• Wolverine86Wolverine86 Posts: 1,461Registered User Senior Member
    Colleges won't see that you got an 8 on the essay unless you send that particular set of scores to them. NMSC doesn't forward any reported scores to colleges, they just check to see that you have achieved a "validating" score. If you want to re-take the SAT to increase your chances of receiving merit scholarships outside of the NM pool go right ahead, but you shouldn't need to re-take it for advancement to NMF status.

To make extra sure, double check your 2100 as a "validating" score using NMSC's formula. You need to check your score details on the College Board website to find your multiple choice sub-score on the writing section, and multiply that number by 10. Then add in your M+CR score (1380 in your case) and make sure the total exceeds 1960, which is NMSC's cutoff for a "validating" SAT score. In your case, you would need to have a multiple choice sub-score on the Writing section of at least 58. Since you feel that your essay brought down your overall Writing score, I'm assuming you'll have no problems using your current score. Good Luck!!