Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

PSAT cutoff score?

Lilly96Lilly96 Posts: 118Registered User Junior Member
I want to be able to get the National Merit Scholarship this year (junior)..what do I need to score? (I live in CA)
Post edited by Lilly96 on

Replies to: PSAT cutoff score?

• dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,672Registered User Senior Member
    The qualifying score for the October test is not released until the end of the following summer . . . so that would be a bit difficult to predict.

Here is one example of past qualifying scores, but they vary from year to year.
  • sosomenzasosomenza Posts: 2,122- Senior Member
    If you're a Junior you should have your score. Google the CA cut offs over the last few years then you'll have a good idea about what it takes. Then check out the threads on this site to see how to transition from NMSf to NMF to NMS. GL
  • Lilly96Lilly96 Posts: 118Registered User Junior Member
    PSAT cutoff scores do get higher each year though right?
  • WoolScarvesWoolScarves Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    They can get higher or they could go lower. It varies every year. Sometimes it will stay the same, sometime it'll go +/- a point or two.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,840Registered User Senior Member
    Lilly...did you take the PSAT last October during your junior year? What score did you get?

I think in Calif, you need a 221 to be rather safe for NMSF.

PSAT cutoff scores do get higher each year though right?

No, think about it.. If the cutoff scores went up every year, soon no one would qualify! lol