Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Replies to: NMS cutoff predictions for class of 2018

• 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,218 Senior Member
    I don't think the cut off will change too much from last year maybe +/- one point.
    @WorryHurry411 I'm glad that I'm not the only one overly apprehensive about the upcoming PSAT scores;-)
  • vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 574 Member
    I would say they have to go up because 2018s have had a full year with this new test and the benefit of practice tests but geez there's not much room in many states to go up much!
  • ShrimpBurritoShrimpBurrito Registered User Posts: 835 Member
    I agree @vistajay. I'm nervous about my D (and me) getting false hope here in our 213 cutoff state.
  • vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 574 Member
    @ShrimpBurrito I know what you mean. My S18's high school usually has 35-50 NMF each year, but last yeat dropped to 21. But my S was getting 219-223 on practice exams leading up to the PSAT, and there are plenty of kids at his HS who will score higher. Our cut off was 216 last year.
    We're in TX and last year the cut off was 220 I can see it going to 221 but not much higher.
  • skitennisskitennis Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I vote they reset California to 223 and drop everyone else a point. :D
  • WorryHurry411WorryHurry411 Registered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
    I recommend having similar standard for our whole country. Just one cutoff for every applicant.
    LOL. Indeed.
    I guess even with current system private schools are at advantage.
    edited December 2016
    Yes but boarding schools are at least held to the highest cut offs and because there are many more privates school in DC, NJ, NY, MA than say in Montana, that influences their states cut offs.
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,922 Senior Member
    Is this the only thread on NMS for Class of 2018 @3scoutsmom ? If so, I'm shocked! Last year there were 100s of posts just before release date. My son's friend is hoping to qualify so was on here looking for release date info and surprised at the low volume.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 3,982 Senior Member
    @suzyQ7, the scores are supposed to be released to the schools today, and then available online for the students on December 12.
    @suzyQ7 last year was an odd year, it was the first year of the new test. Many thought the test was easier for them and thought they had a good shot at NM so there was a lot of speculation. Unfortunately for many the cut offs also rose There was also a lot of discussion about calculating the score, in the past the selection index and the the score were directly correlated (you could just drop the zero off of the score and you had the selection index) now that is not the case and 3 people that have the same score can have different selection index which caused a great deal of confusion.

This year we have last year's information to use as a baseline so there's not as much as much "mystery" though some do think the cut offs might go up a bit. Really there's just not as much to say as there was last year.