Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NAVY FOOTBALL! Go Navy! Beat Army!

MOM2LOLA2011MOM2LOLA2011 Posts: 642Registered User Member
edited August 2007 in Naval Academy - Annapolis
OK Blackhawk, as a football dad, these are mostly aimed at you, but I dont know if you know all the specifics yet being a new Navy Football dad.. I am clueless about NAVY Football but think I need to learn... So here they are..

1. Are the midshipmen required to go to every game?
2. Does Navy pay for them to go to away games? particularly AF and Army
3. I know there is a Bowl Game in San Diego? Do they send the mids there? I think it is during Christmas Break.. how does that work.
4. I think I have seen pics of all the Mids sitting together at games so i am assuming they cant bring dates? If family and friends go to the game are they able to meet up with their Mid?

And any other info you want to add about Navy Football would be appreciated.

OH, and what is a Red Shirt?

Curious, Are there other parents here on CC that have NAVY Football Players?

I recently heard about 2 Midshipmen Baseball players getting Professional Contracts (one for the Braves!). Lets say a 1/c Football-playing Midshipmen is offered a contract to the NFL .. does the NFL team pay off their Contract with USNavy or do they do their 5 years in the reserves or do they just do their 5 years first?
Post edited by MOM2LOLA2011 on

Replies to: NAVY FOOTBALL! Go Navy! Beat Army!

• 2012mom?2012mom? Posts: 511Registered User Member
    "What is a red shirt?"

The NCAA allows student athletes 5 yrs (and in rare instances, 6 yrs) to complete a 4 yr degree. Thus, at many colleges, freshmen (usually) who aren't quite ready to play can use a "red shirt" year in which they can practice with the team in all respects, but not play in games. Or, if a player is injured before they have competed in a certain percentage of the season's games, they can use a "medical red shirt" year in which to recuperate. Since (I believe) Navy requires mids to finish in 4 yrs, I don't think that the term "red shirt" applies for mids.
  • jadler03jadler03 Posts: 696Registered User Member
    1. Are the midshipmen required to go to every game?
    2. Does Navy pay for them to go to away games? particularly AF and Army
    3. I know there is a Bowl Game in San Diego? Do they send the mids there? I think it is during Christmas Break.. how does that work.
    4. I think I have seen pics of all the Mids sitting together at games so i am assuming they cant bring dates? If family and friends go to the game are they able to meet up with their Mid?

1. MIDN are required to go to EVERY home game (unless on authorized movement or excusal)...this usually applies to the Notre Dame game if Navy is hosting. And obviously, this includes the A/N game even though it is not in Annapolis.

2. In the past yes and probably yes this year. The MWF usually helps to offset the cost to travel to a game. Details will be passed to MIDN for each game. Air Force is home this year. Last year MIDN could sign up to take a C-9 out to Colorado Springs via MilAir or purchase their own ticket and travel and be reimbused a certain amount. Army is usually in Philly (though Baltimore this year) and transportation is provided by USNA.

3. Yes, MIDN travel on their own to the bowl game. As like any other away game, they will be reimbused a certain amount. Sometimes additional incentives are offered (i.e. extra weekend during spring semester).

4. Plebes are NOT ALLOWED to sit with family members at all during the game. You are allowed to meet up (maybe during halftime?) during the game. Firsties MAY leave the Brigade area to sit with family/friends/GF/BF (though an extra ticket must be bought for the 1/C) after halftime. At NO TIME are guests (other than USNA sponsored guests) allowed in the Brigade seating area.
    OH, and what is a Red Shirt?

This means that an athlete does not participate in the games, but can in practice. The athlete is not charged a sports year against their elgiblity (only can play sports 4 years -charged- in college unless a waiver is approved by NCAA). Since USNA is a 4 year college, there is usually no point to do this, because it isn't like an athlete could stay a 5th year.
    does the NFL team pay off their Contract with USNavy or do they do their 5 years in the reserves or do they just do their 5 years first?

Maybe. Recently, it seems though that the Navy requires an athlete to serve 2-3 years before a decision is made. I think this is/was the case with ENS Kyle Eckel (though I haven't followed this lately).
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry for the delay. I was incommunicado for a while today
    ^^^^^^What he said. I will try to be more diligent in keeping up with the important things and let my honey do list play 2nd fiddle
  • MOM2LOLA2011MOM2LOLA2011 Posts: 642Registered User Member
    We all have our priorities!
  • usna_rejectusna_reject Posts: 1,533Registered User Member
    yuck, football season
  • navy2010navy2010 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^LOL!
    might want to switch to lacrosse instead!!! ;)
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Yuck, football season....How dare ye blaspheme....
  • jmwritesjmwrites Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
    I believe there are athletes that are red-shirting at USNA, but only because they've played DI in their sport at a different university before being accepted at USNA. I know of at least one in football and one in LAX. They are 20 and 21 y.o. Plebes, respectively.
  • NativeTexanNativeTexan Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    They are not a red shirt if they played DI elsewhere - they would simply be a transfer student who by NCAA rules would have to sit out a year of eligibility before continuing in their sport. They would not have 4 years of eligibility at USNA. Any time played at another DI (I also believe DII ) count against an athlete's total 4 year of eligibility.

The only way that USNA can red shirt an athlete it through sending the athlete to either Prep school or Naps where the year does not count against eligibility. Since the academic program at USNA (or any of the Academies) does not allow for a fifth year, there is no avenue to redshirt at the Academy, it has to be done before the student athlete starts Plebe Year. Naps is where most of the football "redshirts" will spend that year.
  • DknightfamDknightfam Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    Speaking of football, anyone out there with season tickets that wants to sell me their 9/29 Navy vs Air Force tickets? Also, I seem to recall a Navy parents site that I bought/traded some tickets off of last year but I have misplaced the link...anyone know of such a site?
  • usna_rejectusna_reject Posts: 1,533Registered User Member
    yay, full weekends
  • jadler03jadler03 Posts: 696Registered User Member
    As I previously mentioned in a post on this thread, MIDN have been able to attend away games with reimbursment and logistical help.

This is NO LONGER going to happen. The only exception for an away game would be at the Commandant's need (task force) and for the Notre Dame game. Army is considered a "home" game.

With this being said, 1/C or 2/C may utilize a weekend once liberty starts on Friday, to travel to the football venue. However, all the coordination and expenses are on their own foot. It is unclear whether 3/C can leave for weekends on Fridays, but I have a hunch that their liberty starts after SMT on Saturday morning and SMT cannot be missed (practically for any excuse you can come up with...possible exception may be an immediate family function).
  • Profmom2Profmom2 Posts: 901. Member
    Your are correct on the Youngster (3/C) liberty. Weekends for a youngster will now really only be an overnight. Mine is calling it "Plebe Year +1" nothing more than an "upper class plebe"

So much for Brigade support of the football team. I understand that the Cheerleaders and D&B also will only have MO for ND.