Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What would be some tips to get into the Naval academy?

vfma123vfma123 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in Naval Academy - Annapolis
What would be some tips to get into the Naval academy?
hi im a sophomore at valley forge military academy. the reason i wanted to go here was because i want to be a naval aviator. that is my dream. i have a lot of extracurricular activities, my best classes are math and english. im starting a club at my school which involves sending school supplies to students in africa. i also want to start a computer science club as well. i play table tennis, i have my own boating license, i play soccer, swimming, and lacrosse. i play drums and the french horn. i heard that playing an instrument helps a lot when applying to colleges, ive been playing the french horn for about 6 years, i really love to play music. i like to snowboard, and im really into politics. so i just wanted to know if i was on the right path to to getting in, and what other things i may have to do in order to go to this great institution. thanks
Post edited by vfma123 on

Replies to: What would be some tips to get into the Naval academy?

• repeatopfenderrepeatopfender Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Drop the French horn dude, people aren't very fond of Drum and Bugle corps. I'm just kidding, but seriously just continue to be a well rounded kid and take as many leadership roles as possible, even if they don't involve a lot of work. (Frech Horn Section Leader would be a great start.) Other than that, continue to work on physical fitness and managing your time to be the best person you can be.
  • bluesky2012bluesky2012 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    but seriously... people aren't fond of drum and bugle corps.

honestly
  • vfma123vfma123 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    ya but playing an instrument is attractive to lots of colleges
  • Profmom2Profmom2 Posts: 901. Member
    Music is good thing and like you say it is also attractive to other colleges so it helps with providing you with options for your backup plan. Yes there is some disrespect for the D&B but if that is your thing and your with others who do enjoy D&B who cares what the person in the next room thinks. Also, although right now it is not a recognized EC there is a midshipmen orchestra - currently they are the pit orchestra for the winter musical "Into the Woods" so are practicing for that performance. Music is a big part of my Mids life - he does not play with the D&B, but has found many opportunities for music on the yard. And who knows the Orchestra could be reinstated as an EC at some point.
  • JaradWJaradW Posts: 296Registered User Junior Member
    do not have a peanut allergy!
  • inmotioninmotion Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Just curious, why is ther a lack of fondness for the D&B?
    i dont but y not have a peanut allergy?
  • Tique90Tique90 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Because allergies are bad, so is asthma, colorblindness, and obesity, that is, if you're planning on going to the naval academy. I believe all of these disqualify you, and you have to get a medical waiver depending on the type and severity of your condition. I never needed one but, that doesn't mean that they're aren't hundreds of kids going through a hell of a time right now to get themselves clear.

My suggestions are:

1) GPA and Class Rank(Be top 5 of your school)
    2) SAT over 1350
    3) Leadership Positions-meaning more than one (President of Club, Captain of team, Section Leader-Band)
    4) Attend NASS--It may be out of your control but if you can get in, you get the benefit of having a midshipman to walk you through the application process--which is an added benefit considering they can tell you the best way to approach your essays and congressional nominations. You get to take your CFA (candidate fitness assessment) at the academy too.
    5) Be a good kid. No arrests, DUI's, or tattoos--they mess everything up once you get your appointment letter.

Other than that you should be fine.
    i have a lot of leadership qualities, my grades are ok and im studying my psat's to get a better score. im taking a summer course so i can get in pre calc and trigonometry my junior year, i plan on taking college courses in my senior year. im play 3 varsity sports and im going to be the president of my club, and im invovled with other clubs. im joining my schools band which is the number one military band in the country. so i think all i need to do is work on my academics, is this enough?
  • LizandroLizandro Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    Nothing is ever enough! But yes, very nice from what I can see.
    oh good that sounds great
    wat do others think that i should do and what are my chances of getting accepted right now
  • Tique90Tique90 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    It all sounds great man. I'm sure you'll have no problem being competitive for appointment. Looking back on it all, I made a super huge deal about even qualifying academically for the Academy and I ended up getting an assurance. However, it was the hard work and effort I put into school and sports that really gave me an edge on getting into the summer seminar and the Academy.

Work your butt off, but make some time for a social life--even if it means studying on Friday Nights so that you can hang out with your friends on Saturdays. It's important to enjoy yourself, but also remember that the Academy is looking for people who will represent them one day. You are still young, and you have your heart set in the right direction. Keep the faith, and even if people aren't fond of the drum and bugle corps I heard that it might get you off the yard as a plebe.

Good luck, and look for the summer seminar application around this time next year.
  • navy2010navy2010 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    wat do others think that i should do and what are my chances of getting accepted right now

unfortunately no one on here will be able to answer what your chances are- but will paraphrase an old CC "sage" in that you have zero chance if you don't apply- everything else is uphill from there.

Do your best to put your best package together. Academics, Leadership, Athletics- all important. USNA1985 put a great roadmap together on another thread, so look back a few threads and read through the information posted, and then get going.

Just keep in mind- having a plan is a good thing. Executing it is what will count.
  • adurruaadurrua Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    in my four years of high school i will have taken geometry lag two pre cal and cal is that good or do i also need trig?