Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

SUNY New Paltz vs. Canisius College

adavila25adavila25 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited March 2012 in New York Colleges
okay so right now, i'm having a hard time deciding between SUNY New Paltz and Canisius College. i live in NYC so New Paltz would end up being about 2 hours away, while Canisius, which is in Buffalo, will be about 8 :/ distance aside, both colleges interest me a lot. Buffalo is more urban than New Paltz which draws me in a little more being from nyc. surprisingly, Canisius' financial aid package is very generous, and basically they both come out to be about the same amount of money so financial aid isn't really the issue here. which school would you recommend? thank you!
Post edited by adavila25 on

Replies to: SUNY New Paltz vs. Canisius College

• louizacaselouizacase Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey! My name is Louiza and I am currently a senior at Canisius College. I saw your question/dillema and I thought I'd give you some insight from a current Canisius student. Canisius is an amazing school that has so much to offer its students.
    The classes are smaller, the programs are much more tailored to the success of the students and not to mention, the student life is amazing. Once you delcare a major, you will have those professors from your major multiple times so they know you on a personal level. They all really care about your personal success and have so many connections outside of the college that you can be set up with any sort of job or internship that you could imagine.
    I understand that you are struggling with the distance issue but I want you to rest assured that you will never be bored here. There are a lot of students at Canisius that are not local and are from farther away; just like you. During the week there are sporting events and club activities going on and on the weekend, there is always something on Friday and Saturday nights. Club and intramural sports are extremely popular and that is a great way to meet new people and take a break from your homework as well. The freshman dorms are amazing and the sense of family that you will receive with the people that you end up living with is something that you can't find at many colleges. You make friends here that last the rest of your life and I can guarentee that you will find people to live with for the following three years at Canisius.
    Not to mention, the college is located right in the middle of the city of Buffalo. As a student, you receive a free NFTA metro pass which allows you to ride the subway as well as all the buses for free. So if you do not have a car, getting around does not become a problem. Elmwood Avenue is a 2 minute distance away from campus and that street is loaded with restaurants, shops and all different types of festivals throughout the year to keep you constantly interested. Also as a Canisius student, we offer discounted tickets to different sporting events around Buffalo and even theater shows if that is what you are interested in.
    You will make friends with a lot of people from the Buffalo area as well so there is no fear that you will be left alone on a weekend because those students stay on campus as well or if they go home, chances are you will be brought along too! That's what I do with my friends that are from farther away. The freshman residence halls are extremely spacious and are by far bigger than any other college I have ever been to so space is not an issue whatsoever.
    If you have any other questions about Canisius, please feel free to e-mail at caseL@canisius.edu :) I know what you are going through and I would love to help you out with anything else! If I had to do it again, there is absolutely nothing I would change about my decision to come to Canisius and it was such a perfect fit for what I wanted out of a college experience and I know that it can be that for you as well.
This discussion has been closed.