Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Early Decision Statistics?

sshjuskissmesshjuskissme Posts: 29Registered User New Member
edited July 2009 in New York University
I'm a little confused on the ED Stats from NYU.
Can someone clarify some information for me?
A simple question.
About how many students apply to NYU ED? And of those how many students get accepted?

On NYU's website it says about 3,000 students applied ED and 26% of the freshman class is ED. When I do my math. If 36,000 students applied and of those students about 9000 get accepted and 26% of 9000 is about 2300 students. On the website it says total number of newly admitted freshman 4,000 something. That means half the student body is ED?
Post edited by sshjuskissme on

Replies to: Early Decision Statistics?

• just a girljust a girl Posts: 212Registered User Junior Member
    No, it doesn't say there are 4,000 admitted. It says there are 4,000 ENROLLED. Just because 9,000 get accepted doesn't mean they all go.

But yeah, I see what you're getting at. Of the people who actually attend, about half are ED.
  • bimachrisbimachris Posts: 843Registered User Member
    NYU seeks an incoming class of 4500 but that number varies depending on the yield that year.

This year about 1000 ED kids were accepted, little less I think, out of over 3000 applicants. ED acceptance rate was high this year but it varies depending on the quality of the ED applicants. They don't have a limit of how many ED kids they can accept.

So, about 1/3 of NYU's incoming class are ED
  • jkaufmanjkaufman Posts: 1,065Registered User Member
    I think the website means 26% of the people that end up enrolling are ED, which makes sence since a class is about 4000 and they accept about 1000 ED.
  • NuclearPakistan1NuclearPakistan1 Posts: 1,285Registered User Senior Member
    I actually just called NYU admissions to get current data:

RD acceptance rate is about 24%.
    ED acceptance rate is about 32+% depending on how many people apply.
  • j'adoreDiorj'adoreDior Posts: 32Registered User New Member
    hey NuclearPakistan1, do you happen to have the acceptance rate for Stern this year? I was just curious. :) thanks.
  • NuclearPakistan1NuclearPakistan1 Posts: 1,285Registered User Senior Member
    j'adoreDior: I also asked about that, and let me just give you the rundown:

Tisch: ED- Above RD, RD- 15% ( Most selective school)
    Stern: ED- above RD, RD-~18%
    CAS: ED- 32+%, RD-22-24%
    Gallatin, Steinhardt, and Silver: ED- a little above CAS's rate, RD- a little above CAS as well.