Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NYU Undergrad --> NYU Grad

just a girljust a girl Posts: 212Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2010 in New York University
How many graduates of one of NYU's undergraduate schools go on to an NYU grad school? Are there specific undergrad departments that an NYU grad department would look more favorably upon? (If that makes sense...)

Basically, how hard is it to get in to NYU Grad School of Arts and Science right after you graduate from CAS? (What about grad-level Stern, Tisch, Medicine, Law, etc.?)
Post edited by just a girl on

Replies to: NYU Undergrad --> NYU Grad

• missamericanpiemissamericanpie Posts: 2,179Registered User Senior Member
    Aren't you an incoming freshman?

I know my department (media) told me not to both to apply to Steinhardt Media Grad; we don't take our own undergraduates back.

Grad admissions are WAY DIFFERENT than undergraduate admissions. It's about departmental FIT and writing samples, not ECs. Each department has different criteria because each department is looking for something different in it's graduate students.

You need work experience before you can apply for a Stern MBA.
    You need a killer portfolio for an MFA.
    I'm not sure if being an NYU undergrad works against you for Law/Medicine.
  • just a girljust a girl Posts: 212Registered User Junior Member
    GSAS offers tuition discounts for students who get admitted directly to GSAS after graduation from CAS...does this mean GSAS raises the bar for CAS kids (because of the discount)? Or do they have just as good a chance as anyone?
  • NYUwouldBeNiceNYUwouldBeNice Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    @missamericanpie

what did you mean by this: "I know my department (media) told me not to both to apply to Steinhardt Media Grad; we don't take our own undergraduates back. "?

and if it means that they absolutely will not take media undergrads in grad school, what is there to do? or if you dont mind, what do you plan on doing after graduating?

thank you
  • missamericanpiemissamericanpie Posts: 2,179Registered User Senior Member
    @wouldbenice

I mean, Steinhardt MCC won't take Steinhardt MCC undergraduates for MCC GRAD. I'm applying to many graduate media courses, and a few MA/PhD programs, just at other colleges. If I were to apply to NYU, I would apply to GSAS American Studies or ITP or GSAS Gender Studies.