Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

dorm parties

BRWNEYES87BRWNEYES87 Posts: 163Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2005 in New York University
hey...so i was wondering...do ppl at nyu have a lot of dorm parties or is it mostly just "go out and party in the city"-type of a thing?

also...how is the frat scene?
Post edited by BRWNEYES87 on

Replies to: dorm parties

• icecubes207icecubes207 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    frats are virtually non existent. less than 3% of the pop. at nyu is greek. im applying there ed so i dont have first hand info but thats what i've heard...
  • askaboutNYUaskaboutNYU Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    I assure you more than 3% of the population are involved in frats and sororities. These facts that are on Princeton Review and other publications are mistaken. For the most part, people pre-game in their dorms with friends and then move the party out to a bar or lounge etc. You can party in your dorm if you have a cool RA and are smart however. Freshmen usually can't because it is known that they are all under 21
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    lol, my roommate was from Singapore and had just gotten out of the military (2 1/2 year mandatory committment for all men) so he was 21. Thanks to a loophole in the rules, we were allowed to have alcohol in the room as long as we said it was his.
  • BRWNEYES87BRWNEYES87 Posts: 163Registered User Junior Member
    well...is it like other colleges? where ppl still bring alcohol? ?? so freshmen dont party at all????? :l

any more info would be appreciated.. :)
  • VanessaAnneVanessaAnne Posts: 288Registered User Junior Member
    do the RA's do room checks for alcohol?
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    depends on the RA. My RA was cool, her rule was, if I don't see it, it's not there. Most RAs are like that: basic rule is don't be stupid.
    so im assuming this means No free alcohol at frat type parties?
    ????????????????????????????????????
    bump it up please give more info
  • treeexoxotreeexoxo Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    related question...i have heard you are not allowed to have members of the opposite sex sleep in your dorm? is this true? and how would they enforce it?

-katrina-
  • jimmychalkjimmychalk Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    i think the policy on overnight guests doesn't have different stipulations for either sex... it's just that one person can only stay a max of 6 nights in one month and you must leave your NYU ID and they must leave a photo ID at the desk until you/they leave

i thiiiink...
  • WonderandWonderand Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    Their numbers are off. The percent of students involved in Greek Life generally hovers between 1-2% each year
  • askaboutNYUaskaboutNYU Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    LOL Wonderland do you go here. Fraternity and Sorority life make up 5-6% of students.
  • hhhuanghhhuang Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    it doesn't matter. all the numbers are pretty low.
  • WonderandWonderand Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    From the NYU factbook--3% of freshman men join fraternities, 2% of freshman year. Compiled from data taken during the 2004 fall semester.

askaboutNYU--please re-read my screenname, and no I don't go there, I work there.