Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Freshman housing-roommate selection

shac1968shac1968 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited April 2011 in Northeastern University
Hi and congrats to all those accepted to NEU. I'm a mom and was wondering if you were all going through the regular housing application for a roommate or are you using facebook? also,my daughter is doing the 5 yr program so is she class of 2015 or 2016 when searching on facebook?
Big question too---are you all choosing a LLC or not? is it mandatory?
Thanks a bunch
Post edited by shac1968 on

Replies to: Freshman housing-roommate selection

• meghanupsidedownmeghanupsidedown Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    I'm involved in the facebook group, and it is called "Northeastern's 114th Entering Class" seeing as many of us have different years of graduation, 2015, 2016 and 2017. I found my roommate on the facebook group, not by searching, we just started talking and took things from there. The housing application was only about 10 questions, and I hear there is a high success rate for matching roommates, so don't worry about finding one yourself. Also, an LLC is mandatory for your freshman year. I chose the leadership as my first, and community service as my second. There are a lot of academic ones too, but I felt that the pre-med would be too much repetition for me. I hope this helps! I look forward to seeing you guys on campus!
  • shac1968shac1968 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    thanks meghan----have a great time in Boston and at NEU
  • momofbostonmomofboston Posts: 895Registered User Member
    My D has already filled out her housing app and did not choose a LLC - it isn't mandatory. She is a member of the FB group but is going to see who she meets at orientation before she decides on a roomate.
  • WiseGuy57WiseGuy57 Posts: 202Registered User Junior Member
    When I attended orientation last year, I didn't really notice anyone looking for roommates. While it may just be me, I'm pretty sure most students who don't know anyone going in just choose to get assigned automatically.
  • blinkangel44blinkangel44 Posts: 1,159Registered User Senior Member
    I went to the first orientation available orientation, and I know that I knew my roommate going into it. One of my suitemates was actually in my orientation group.
  • adon126adon126 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    i'm a freshman now, and most of the people i know went through getting assigned automatically. you should find out in mid June what your room assignment is. LLC's never used to be mandatory, unless you're in honors i believe, which i am, and then you have to choose an honors LLC.
  • canuck44canuck44 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    From everything that I have seen and heard, they are mandatory this year. Also you have to finalize everything by May 2nd I believe. I received something at Welcome Day that says they will mail the assignments the week of June 15th, so you have to either pick a roommate or decide to go random before orientation. I have seen several people finding roommates through the facebook group (not as many through **** because you have to pay). There are plenty of people just doing random, such as myself. I have heard that they have a very successful rate for matches.