Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Fictional Character Essay

stu64kstu64k Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Northwestern University
Does anyone know if preference is given as to whether the character is described in terms of how they would make the best roommate for you personally, or if they're described in terms of how they would be the perfect roommate for any college student in general? Advice from anyone who has been accepted would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by stu64k on

Replies to: Fictional Character Essay

• kokerkoker Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Well i'm pretty sure they're asking for what fictional character YOU want. And it's pretty simple because it's 50 words. You can't go into depth even if you want to.
  • NihongoyoNihongoyo Posts: 2,254Registered User Senior Member
    well, i went into depth but only slightly; they want a concise answer that also showcases somewhat of your personality. It's weird, but effective in a way :D
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 725Registered User Member
    The point of the essays is to get to know the applicant's personality, so you should definitely focus on why the character would be a great roommate for you.
  • dfleishdfleish Posts: 905Registered User Member
    You are definitely overanalyzing the question. You can't answer it the WRONG way, but you can answer it in a way that either says a lot about you or says nothing. It's up to you how you interpret the question; it's your creative answer that matters.
  • Shobhit2006Shobhit2006 Posts: 611Registered User Member
    lol i wouldn't call it an essay..more like...a long sentence. I dunno i chose Luke Skywalker
  • MusicNerdishMusicNerdish Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
    I chose "Rose" from the Golden Girls. =D
  • brownie313brownie313 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    I chose monica geller from friends...lol..lame i know...but i backed it up...it waz funny.
  • jayzalajayzala Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    I chose Dexter from Dexter's Lab
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Posts: 1,420Registered User Senior Member
    thats really clever jayzala
  • hollywoodivahollywoodiva Posts: 381Registered User Member
    I am writing about a very famous golden-yellow teddy bear :-)
  • Karl MarksKarl Marks Posts: 563Registered User Member
    Is it winnie the poooooooooooh? Yes, I love pooh bear! Anysways, how long are most peoples, like 3-5 sentences?
  • Imaginary_OrdinaImaginary_Ordina Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    Mine was very short, yeah.

I chose Jo March! Hooray, Little Women.
  • zutsuitzutsuit Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    Imaginary_Ordina, that's a wonderful idea! Gah, I should have put Jo; she's my favorite character in one of my favorite novels.

Ah well, I put Buffy the Vampire Slayer and had some fun writing that. As for word limit, I applied with the print app and was able to squeeze in about 60 words (with room to spare in the given space).
  • Annie10Annie10 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    My daughter used a male character and got in.
  • princeton24601princeton24601 Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    i chose howard roark from the fountainhead