Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

OSU vs UMich

KyleTwentyElevenKyleTwentyEleven Posts: 547Registered User Member
Hi everyone,

I don't post much, but I promise I lurk a lot, and I have a dilemma.

I was admitted into both OSU and UMich, and I am having a hard time deciding between them. I know people on this forum are very knowledgeable and can help me with this decision.

So about me,
Majoring in business or pre-law. Money is not an issue (upper middle class), but it is the main reason for my problem is whether UMich is worth the money. I live on the east coast, so I am out of state for both schools, but I received about 12k worth in scholarships per year at Ohio State, and nothing at Mich, making it exactly half as expensive (23k a year vs 46k a year with all expenses included). I know UMich is ranked better in business, about 20 spots on average (6 vs 26) if you average all of the prominent rankings. Is this alone worth the extra $90,000 that I would have to pay? Is there anything I could do at Michigan that could not be done at Ohio State? Which would be the best for my situation? I've been to both campuses and loved them both, so I am under an increasingly hard decision.

I know that people on this forum will tend to be a bit biased toward OSU, so I would appreciate if you could put that aside in your responses.

Thanks guys!
Post edited by KyleTwentyEleven on

Replies to: OSU vs UMich

• RMGsmomRMGsmom Posts: 514Registered User Member
    If I offered my son a UM business degree or an OSU business degree plus 90K in cash, I know which one he'd take.
  • KudryavkaKudryavka Posts: 867Registered User Member
    Michigan is better, but it's not a huge difference that justifies spending that much.
  • deb09deb09 Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    how well you do is more important than where you go. save the 90K for your grad degree- a bachelor's alone won't be enough. your master's will weigh more than the undergrad degree to employers
  • QuestionAuthQuestionAuth Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    If money is no obhject, UM has the better reputation. I have a son at OSU, but despite poorer weather, UM campus more attractive and Ann Arbor is a better college town. In regards to business, my understanding at UM only about 25% of student who apply to undergraduate business school get in and you are not allowed to reapply later. Even if you're real smart you have to realize that 3 out of 4 don't get in and they're real smart too or they wouldn't be at UM. My knowledge is second hand, but I'd definitely check into that. If you go pre-law, remember law school is expensive so undergraduate cost may be a factor to consider.
  • KyleTwentyElevenKyleTwentyEleven Posts: 547Registered User Member
    Thanks for your response Question,

Just to help you out with the facts a little bit, around 40-45% of those who apply for Ross get in after freshman year. The average GPA admitted is a 3.71. I agree with you, it translates into "extremely competitive." At OSU you just need to keep a 3.2 and you can get into any discipline. Without competitiveness though, I doubt Michigan could keep its rankings and reputation. It's certainly a hard choice, especially in my situation. I'm beginning to lean towards Michigan though, as it is the better choice academically, but I truly do love everything about Ohio State. I think I'll know after visiting the UM campus whether or not I'll go there.

Thanks! All input is greatly appreciated.