Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Out of State Financial Aid

brandon2me23brandon2me23 Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
How much financial aid do out of state people get? Ohio State is one of my top choices, but I live in Maryland and my parents refuse to pay full tuition. I also have law school after college and I'm afraid of taking out too big of a loan. I need to know how much out of state merit money they give.

Stats: class of 2011
3.48 or 3.52 GPA (end of year)
4.67 or 4.72 QPA
29 ACT
President of Jewish Youth Group
President of Young Democrats
Class Steering Committee Treasurer
12-season athlete: 2-year captain Cross Country
Captain of Varsity Wrestling (state qualifier, team captain)
Top-10% of my class
vigorous schedule (1 AP sophomore year, 4 AP's junior year, planning 3 AP's senior year)

will have 2 strong recs and I am interning for a political candidate this summer as well as life guarding for my second straight year.

Thank you in advance for the help!
Post edited by brandon2me23 on

Replies to: Out of State Financial Aid

• QueenofShebaQueenofSheba Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    class of 2010 here! OSU hasnt sent out financial ai dyet so i dont know what youd get BUT if you apply to case western reserve university you will get so much financial aid! however ive heard its not a very likeable school for those who want to learn and party. but if you get freaked out and excited over things like new textbooks or libraries then case is the school for you! also tukane university gives out great aid.
  • JahabaJahaba Posts: 814Registered User Member
    The only state universities that guarantee meeting full-need to out of state students are UVA and UNC - Chapel Hill. The others are extraordinarily stingy because they have to reserve most of their aid for in-state students (whose parents' tax dollars make the college viable). What I would recommend, if you are really intent on going to Ohio and can't pay the full tuition, is that you should look at the merit aid opportunities. These can really help make Ohio more affordable.

Although I really don't think it's a good idea to go somewhere really expensive for undergrad if you're going law.
  • BLDESQBLDESQ Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
    We found OSU far more generous than Penn State, Binghamton or Rutgers with merit awards. National Buckeye Scholarships are for out of state students. Check out the OSU web for details.

Good luck!
  • susanr64susanr64 Posts: 510Registered User Member
    OP, check out the Morrill Scholarship as well, your Jewish ethnicity may qualify you. Make sure you apply early also, as OSU receives a lot of applicants and a lot of qualified students have been turned away.
  • Manhattan75Manhattan75 Posts: 523- Member
    I'm a Jewish OOS student entering TOSU this autumn. I did not think that being Jewish would qualify me for anything.
    but if you get freaked out and excited over things like new textbooks or libraries then case is the school for you!

You forgot to mention that TOSU just opened its brand-new Thompson library (it is gorgeous and gigantic and modern) and the brand-new Union opens in a week.