Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Western Governors University

AwesomeAxolotlAwesomeAxolotl Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
Does anyone know how reputable this university it is? I know it has the proper accreditation, but would employers frown upon a degree from here?

Replies to: Western Governors University

• oneundecidedoneundecided Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    I'm a fan of WGU.. it's a great option for working adult students. The tuition is affordable; it's fully accredited; and offers degree programs that are in high demand (business, IT, nursing and education). Because it is competency based- if you can demonstrate your knowledge you can move through courses quicker-- so a person who has accounting background from professional work experience may complete an accounting course in 2 weeks while someone with no experience in that area may take 6 weeks. Since you pay for a 6 month term-- you can really save money by working through courses quickly.
  • alooknacalooknac Registered User Posts: 960 Member
    As a resident of one of the states that the Governors come from, I consider this a completely reputable university.
    https://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/WGU_story#
    Western Governors University is a nonprofit online university founded and supported by 19 U.S. governors. At no other time in the history of higher education have the governors of several states joined together to create a university.

....the governors enlisted the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE) and the National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS) to help design the newly envisioned university.
    This is not some fly by night or profit-motivated university and I believe it is well respected by employers. I have looked into it myself and if at some point it met my goals I would not hesitate to get my education there.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 30,484 Senior Member
    edited September 9
    It is reputable.
    However it's mostly for working adults and the competency based system means you won't easily if at all be able to transfer classes to a traditional brick-and-mortar University.
    So its suitability depends on whether you're an adult trying to change career tracks of a high school student.