Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is college statistics like?

premed4premed4 Posts: 944Registered User Member
edited July 2011 in Other College Majors
I'm interested in a Biometry and Statistics major due to the fact that I'm really interested in Biology/ Comp-sci and want to be able to combine that with math which I also have a passion for. If I did this major I would get to do a lot of calc which I'm interested in, but I would also be doing a lot of statistics, which I do not have much, if any, experience in, and I wanted to see what it was like before I apply for this major. So far I have liked all the maths I have done, Algebra/ Geometry/ Pre-Calc, is it like these? What kinds of things would you learn about in class?
Post edited by premed4 on

Replies to: What is college statistics like?

• LAGatorLAGator Posts: 387Registered User Member
    College Statistics comes with different levels of spice. The Mild end is typically geared toward certain social science majors and requires knowledge at the level of Algebra 2. Emphasis is typically on application. The Hot end (where you will reside) typically requires Calculus, and some theory courses may require a working knowledge of Multidimensional Calc. and Linear Algebra as well as familiarity with writing mathematical proofs. Emphasis is typically on theory.

Check out the Course Catalog at a University of interest and see what is involved in their coursework.