Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is a "practical" major (or minor) I can pair with Media Studies?

DJpsu2015DJpsu2015 Posts: 811Registered User Member
edited October 2011 in Other College Majors
I was originally planning on pairing media studies with rhetoric or sociology, but I want something a little more practical because my central major will be media studies. These are a few majors that interest me: International Business (minor), Communication Arts & Sciences (major), Information Sciences & Technology (major/minor), International Studies (minor), and Psychology (major/minor).

I mainly want to become a writer (online or print) and write film reviews because I love doing it. I'm currently on the school newspaper writing film reviews and it's such a fun and gratifying experience for me (i've even won awards for them). But I'm getting a little nervous thinking about the job prospects for my future if I just major in Media Studies. I eventually want to work in the media industry for a film/tv production company, marketing analyst, and possibly in business (domestic/international) or in newspaper. I guess what I'm asking is what is a good major or minor to pair with Media Studies that will help me get jobs like these in the future? (Assuming I would go to graduate school.) Also, is a minor as effective as a major? If it's that greatly impacted, should I double major? Or would a minor suffice? Anyone want to suggest some other majors/minors you can think of?

Thank you so much.
Post edited by DJpsu2015 on

Replies to: What is a "practical" major (or minor) I can pair with Media Studies?