Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Too Many Interests(choosing a major)

springgardensspringgardens Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited August 2013 in Other College Majors
Okay so I am currently going to a community college and will be transferring next fall. I can't decide what to major in! I have way to many interests and can't decide which one I want to focus on.

The majors I am considering are:

Graphic Design, Fine Art, Theatre, English, Psychology, Biology, Communications, Film.

Wow! That is a lot of majors. People tell me, oh well just choose the one you are most interested in, but truthfully I am equally interested in them all.

Here is a little background on myself: I've always been interested in both art, science, and writing. I have always been fascinated by science. However, I think I have always struggled with math. (I just finished Precalculus last spring at college with a B.) I have kind of ruled out science majors because of the math, but I still enjoy science topics. I took Chemistry in high school and got a B too but I feel like I am not good enough to handle the college courses. Anyways, in high school, I excelled at English (especially creative writing) and Graphic Design courses. I always got A's in these courses. However, I feel like I wouldn't get a practical job with English and Graphic Design is extremely competitive. I also took Psychology in high school and enjoyed the topics, but I had a hard time memorizing people's names and theories. I enjoy fine art and drawing, but never took any art classes in high school. It has just been a hobby of mine. As for theatre, I have taken a few acting classes but never done any plays. I really enjoyed my acting classes though.

I just feel so lost and don't know what to do anymore. Is there any method you used to rule out certain majors? Any advice?
Post edited by springgardens on

Replies to: Too Many Interests(choosing a major)

• NovaLynnxNovaLynnx Posts: 1,328Registered User Senior Member
    Don't look at what you enjoy studying or doing for fun - consider what you will enjoy doing as a career for the next several years or more of your life.

I am a lot like you - I majored in graphic design at a technical high school, then started as a graphic design major in college. At the same time I began a co-op job as a graphic designer - and that sucked the life right out of it. I loved designing (I still do), but when I was doing it for clients 40 hours a week, I no longer enjoyed it. I switched my major to psychology, graduated as such, and I am now an HR manager.

I also love writing and considered a double major in psych & English, but my psych courses were writing intensive so I didn't feel the need to double major.

My best advice is to job shadow or get some kind of part-time job or internship related to these areas, or interview a professional in the field, and see the good and bad sides of each job. See what fits your desired lifestyle.
  • geo1113geo1113 Posts: 1,413Registered User Senior Member
    If you like writing and are concerned with getting a job, perhaps communications could be a direction for you.
  • baktraxbaktrax Posts: 1,742Registered User Senior Member
    I second the advice to consider what you would like to do as a career, which can be very different than what you just love to learn about. A double major might also be beneficial, if you can fit it in.

If you love art, science, and writing, you could consider being a technical writer or being an illustrator for biology or a similar field (perhaps with a double major of graphic design and biology?). I have no idea what the career path for that would be or what the job outlooks are, but it's something to consider.
  • NovaLynnxNovaLynnx Posts: 1,328Registered User Senior Member
    ^^ Scientific Illustrator. I haven't looked into it much but I've heard they make good money. I'm not sure how competitive that particular field is compared with graphic design and other illustration positions.

Communications would be somewhat comprehensive of what you mentioned, but it can be hard to market yourself and get a job. Requires some good connections/networking and internships.
  • lullababylullababy Posts: 841Registered User Member
    I third the advice to think about what you'd like to do as a career. Since you have a wide variety of interests, I'd also take into consideration if you can major in something that is very broad (communications) yet where you can still have a focus (graphic communications).