Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Biology/Psychology Double Major

ahenshawahenshaw Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited October 2008 in Other College Majors
Hi all! Before getting into the main point of the topic, I'd like to discuss about myself a bit (no, I'm not egocentric or anything, I believe it's relevant(sp?) to my inquiry.). My MBTI type is ENFP, for those of you who are familiar with that assessment. It's a Jungian Psychology test and it's actually fairly respectable and pretty accurate...it's like 95% accurate in describing me. I am currently an Engineering major but I absolutely HATE it. Well, hate is a strong word I guess but....I can not imagine myself doing this for the rest of my life. However, Psychology and Biology are both areas I've always been interested in and subjects I excel at....is it wiser to pursue a double major in both, or should I just stick to one. I want a career hopefully where I get to work with people (something medically based...not necessarily physician, but definitely something in medicine)...so...I guess my question is is a Biology/Psychology double-major worth it? I've looked at the requirements and stuff and with some of the overlap they have, I could feasibly complete the degree in four years, plus I'd be taking classes in the areas I like. Any comments, or have I pretty much just answered my own question?
Post edited by ahenshaw on

Replies to: Biology/Psychology Double Major

• ahenshawahenshaw Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    No thoughts or anything anyone?
  • SkullduggerySkullduggery Posts: 600Registered User Member
    I don't honestly have any help, but it's funny that I am an INFP and considering the same major. You have answered your own question: you can go into the medical field and take classes that you enjoy with a bio/psych double major, so why not give it a go?
  • runningwriterrunningwriter Posts: 367Registered User Junior Member
    Have you considered neuroscience? It is essentially a combination of biology and pyschology, but under one major.
  • ahenshawahenshaw Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Thanks Skullduggery and runningwriter. Yeah, I have noticed that sometimes career/major choices for INFP/ENFP are sort of the same, despite the initial difference. And my school does have neuroscience as a graduate degree, and most people I think going into it either major in Psychology, Biology, or both...so it is something I've considered.
  • starbrightstarbright Posts: 4,660Registered User Senior Member
    Actually if you major in psychology, you'll learn there is very little empirical support for Myers-Briggs. Its pop psychology by consultants and well known in the workplace, but not considered legitimate by personality researchers.

I know it has a lot of what we call "face validity". I demonstrate this in my class: I provide my studenst with randomly assigned bogus results, and about 90% are so impressed that it sounds just like them. Try it with your friends....and do switch to psychology!