Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

So what can you do with an art history degree?

MarloweMarlowe Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Other College Majors
I'm considering double majoring in art history and another disciple (or maybe minoring in it), but have been told numerous times how "impractical" it is. Practicality at this point isn't a huge concern, but I'm curious- what kind of careers do art history majors go on to have?
Post edited by Marlowe on

Replies to: So what can you do with an art history degree?

• Euler321Euler321 Posts: 597Registered User Member
    Some work in museums...some work in a gallery. Some are appraisers or curators or archivists. You could teach. This is what I found on google...

College Majors and Careers - Art History
  • kindaslick89kindaslick89 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    To be brutally honest with you...you can't do much.
  • freshhhh87freshhhh87 Posts: 153- Junior Member
    I'm a transfer student with a major in art history. I'm going to get a BA in art history but I don't plan to make it a career because it's extremely difficult to get a job in the field unless you have a MA or a PH.D
  • tenisghstenisghs Posts: 3,955Registered User Senior Member
    You can always go into Arts Management if you don't want to teach art history.

Arts Management
  • BacktothestarsBacktothestars Posts: 454Registered User Member
    I'm an art history major.

It doesn't sound like you can do much unless you go to grad school. That's my plan, at least for right now. I might want to teach or work in a museum, or do something where I can travel. Appraisal also sounds interesting and so does conservation. I go back and forth. :)

I've heard art history majors are looked upon fairly well by law schools as well.
  • BacktothestarsBacktothestars Posts: 454Registered User Member
    I'm an art history major.

It doesn't sound like you can do much unless you go to grad school. That's my plan, at least for right now. I might want to teach or work in a museum, or do something where I can travel. Appraisal also sounds interesting and so does conservation. I go back and forth. :)

I've heard art history majors are looked upon fairly well by law schools as well.
  • belevittbelevitt Posts: 2,005Registered User Senior Member
    My wife was an art history major in college. It is true that it doesn't start you down a specific career path the way a degree in chemical engineering or secondary school teaching might. However, there are career opportunities that stem from its study including marketing, advertising and other jobs that a liberal arts education might prepare you for.

My wife works as an advisor at an art and design college. However, for her to progress in her career, a graduate degree is really mandatory. No matter where you go with your art history degree, plan to do grad school. With a masters or Phd you would be prepared for things like art restoration/conservation, curatorial work, teaching, art marketing (representing artists and helping them gain the exposure it takes to win bids for public or corporate art projects), auction houses and a handful of other jobs.
  • belevittbelevitt Posts: 2,005Registered User Senior Member
  • kid112kid112 Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
    Backtothestars, why do law schools look favorably upon art history students?
  • MarloweMarlowe Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    Hmm...can you combine art history and law? I would love to parlay the two into a job at Sotheby's or Christie's or something along those lines....
  • swattransferswattransfer Posts: 140Registered User Junior Member
    ^of course you can. aside from working for auction houses, art history + law can also be great preparation for many museum jobs as well. don't we all know how sketchily so many museum pieces are acquired? someone's gotta deal with those foreign countries claiming the Met possesses thousands of their artifacts illegally, or some private citizen claiming that the MoMA doesn't have the rights to painting X.
  • tenisghstenisghs Posts: 3,955Registered User Senior Member
    A law degree is too costly if you don't love the law. I believe you'll have better value with an MFA and/or MBA, especially if you're interested in management and possibly owning/running your own art gallery.

A&D Graduate Programs: MFA/MBA Dual Degree
  • CoffeeAddict9716CoffeeAddict9716 Posts: 876Registered User Member
    My aunt was an art history major and ended up working in a museum for a while...but honestly she regrets it a bit and is going back to school to get another degree...not that many job ops for art history majors to be honest.
  • MarloweMarlowe Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    Hmm...let's say I wanted to become an art dealer or curator. Would I need a PhD to reach a high level of art management?
  • hj0519hj0519 Posts: 631Registered User Member
    Marlowe:
    Yeah, I think so. Go check out museum sites and see the requirements for open positions and stuff, that may give you an idea of what kind of an education you'll nee to do that.