Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Statistics major/statistics & economics

byuan09byuan09 Posts: 25Registered User New Member
edited October 2009 in Other College Majors
I would like to be a statistics major, but I not found a reliable ranking source. Does anybody know the rankings or where I could find them?
Also, there is a major called Economics & Statistics and so far I know it is offered by Carnegie Mellon and University of Pittsburgh. Is there anywhere else that offers this major?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by byuan09 on

Replies to: Statistics major/statistics & economics

• zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,488Registered User Senior Member
    Off the top of my head, i don't know where else they offer an Economics & Statistics major, but I do know that Economics & Math is a fairly common option, either as a joint/double major or as a subspecialty within an Economics major. Economics & Statistics would seem to be a very good combination. Whether or not a particular school designates it as a special joint major, one could always do a double major in these fields.
  • Sligh_AnarchistSligh_Anarchist Posts: 2,193Editor Senior Member
    A standard economics curriculum should make extensive use of statistics (and other mathematics). You'll take plenty of calculus, calculus-based statistics, and econometrics in your economics major (if it's required, that is).
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,668Registered User Senior Member
    (Sometimes undergraduate statistics programs are called Applied Mathematics so you might check on that as well.)

College Board says there are 21 four-year colleges that offer an econometrics major. This might be similar.