Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What are good colleges for Psychology majors?

jojoyojojoyo Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Other College Majors
Hi! I want to know which colleges have good psychology programs. I intend on getting a double major statistics and psychology. Are there any schools with good psychology majors to recommend to me?
Post edited by jojoyo on

Replies to: What are good colleges for Psychology majors?

• zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,469Registered User Senior Member
    Psychology + Statistics is a good combination. Most colleges offer a psychology major. Not nearly so many offer an undergrad statistics major. There are too many with good psychology programs to make suggestions without knowing your qualifications, your preferences (e.g., size, urban vs. suburban vs. rural location, region of the country, etc.), and what you can afford. After identifying schools that meet your criteria for selectivity, preferences, and cost, come up with a list of reach, match, and safety schools. Also, don't just choose a school for a particular major as your interests may change. Instead, choose schools that offer good programs across a number of fields that might interest you. Since far fewer schools offer an undergrad statistics major that should help narrow it down further.
  • jojoyojojoyo Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice. I guess i should go ahead and do that.
  • oneguy21oneguy21 Posts: 438Registered User Member
    You should definitely look into Berkeley and UCLA. Both psych programs are top notch (Berkeley's psych department is rated #1), and both schools do offer a major in statistics.
  • juilletjuillet Posts: 5,705Registered User Senior Member
    Most solid schools have solid psychology programs.

But schools with top-notch programs include Michigan, Wisconsin-Madison, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, UCLA and UC-Berkeley, and Emory. I've also perused Dartmouth's course offerings and they're pretty good, as are Swarthmore's. But like Zapfino said, it really depends on your preferences.

Also, I second that psychology and statistics are an excellent combination. Many colleges have a combined psychology-statistics major. I go to Columbia and they offer both a psychology and statistics major, but oddly not a psychology-statistics major (there is a math-stats major, a poli sci-stats major, and an econ-stats major though)
    Hey that's nice to know that i chose a good combo. In addition to that, what careers can a psychology major go into after college?
  • OminousRunOminousRun Posts: 690Registered User Member
    As a Statistics major, I can say the most common (non-statistics or actuarial science) major of people in my classes is Psychology.

Most of them are Psych majors/Stats minors. They love the Stats applications, but don't necessarily want to take all of the math/computer science classes required for the Stats BS. The minor pretty much lets them do that.
    I'm fine with math because I'm taking AP Statistics at school right now and so far its not too bad.